My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a FEL for my 76 dayton .
question pump looking at a pump the is 4.7 gpm at 1800 rpm and 9.6 gpm at 3600 rpm .
have 2 2 in bor with18 stroke and 2 for bucket 2 in bor with 12 in stroke woul
looking at a tank 2.8 gal .
would thes work for this set up

some pic of my set up

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am not sure, but I seem to recall someone saying you should have a tank with a 4 gallon capacity.

I can tell you my FEL uses just the "driver side" upright and I do not believe it has that much capacity. With that said, I only use it for light work.

In regards to the pump, the specs sound simular to the one I have.

By the way, great looking tractor and FEL!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think 4 gallons is alot, I built a huge log splitter 14 hp with a 13 gpm 2 stage pump. My tank holds 5 gallons but I am only using 2 gallons it the tank and it works fine. The oil capacity of the cyl is more than all of the cyls on my fel . For my fel I am going to mount a tank under and behind the seat.Taking the tool box off and building a L shaped tank. Having a larger tank would help with cooling the oil but I dont think it is a must. I am no expert tho.
Tom

·
Barely Keepin' Up
255 Posts
The larger the tank the more heat dispersion. You always want a buffer on heat, but you could very easily hook a transmission coller inline of the low pressure side and be able to run with a much lower amount of fluid.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input have not mounted the tank or pump. Planing on putting the pump in front of engine , the tank some place behind the seat where I now have a battery mounted .May put bat back under the hood ,but have a spool valve there for the plow angel set up.
Can not use the posts for tanks ,they sit in a saddel and have a pin in them to hold them down.Pull the pins and they lift off.
Use a car battery instead of a tractor battery,to big to go back under hood.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do not think I have anywhere near a 4 gallon fluid capacity, would guess the entire system has no more then 3 gallons in it, but it does get very warm on a summer day.

I like the idea of where you are planning to mount your tank, I was thinking about making one and adding it to mine, or at least adding a cooler.

The extra weight of the tank and fluid at the back of the tractor can only help counter the weight of the FEL up front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts