My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took the Hydo axel out of my tractor because it was acting up.
The longer I drove the tractor the slower it would go but engine speed was still ok.
Now that I have the rear end on my work bench does any one know
1 How do you tell if there is enouch fluid in it?
2. does any one know where there is a repair manual for a hydrgear 312-0800
I saw one of you has already repaired one . What did you do?

·
Loves Orange and White
34 Posts
Re: Hydro gear transaxle Broadmoore

First things first...how old or how many hours are on the tranny? If it is several years old(mine was 12 years at failure) with plenty of hours it most likely needs rebuilding.

Since you have it out let's see what the oil looks like. Turn that puppy upside down and drain some of the fluid onto a clean paper towel. If the fluid is silver colored the trannys is badly worn and changing the fluid won't solve your problem.

I have attached the parts breakdown so you can see how its put together.

Let me know what you find.
:goodl:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Hydro gear transaxle Broadmoore

First things first...how old or how many hours are on the tranny? If it is several years old(mine was 12 years at failure) with plenty of hours it most likely needs rebuilding.

Since you have it out let's see what the oil looks like. Turn that puppy upside down and drain some of the fluid onto a clean paper towel. If the fluid is silver colored the trannys is badly worn and changing the fluid won't solve your problem.

I have attached the parts breakdown so you can see how its put together.

Let me know what you find.
:goodl:
Machine is from late 90,s with 700hrs . I used it a lot this winter (below freezing tempertures) with chains to pull cart loads of fire wood from woods to house. I think the cold did more harm than the loads of wood because the rear end never got a chane to warm up and I'm sure looking back that may have weeken some seals or worse! I will check oil as you said but do not know how to check oil level if there is such a thing.

·
Loves Orange and White
34 Posts
The oil level should about an inch or so below the plastic hose barb at ambient temp. Once it gets hot it expands into the rubber hose and then contracts upon cooling. I put a clear vinyl hose on mine so I could monitor level and condition.

Let me know what the oil looks like when you get a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts