My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a GT 5000 and the Kohler 25 hp blew a rod this summer. I found a used Craftsman DLS 3000 with an almost new 20.5 hp Kohler so I moved the engine onto my GT and it runs great but the hydro won't engage. I can move the shift lever into forward and reverse and the belt is moving but the tractor doesn't go anywhere. Any suggestions? I did notice that the drive shaft on the 20.5 hp is a 1/4 inch smaller then the 25hp, do I need a shorter drive belt?
Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the release lever is in the correct position. Since you bring that up, that lever doesn't always free up the wheels when activated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, the release lever is in the correct position. Since you bring that up, that lever doesn't always free up the wheels when activated.
I just replaced the brake shaft on a Hydro Gear that had no motion.
Let me know if you go down that road I'll give you info on what I did

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Brake shaft or low on fluid or fluid to cold to flow. Hydrogear had me change the fluid from 20w50 dino oil to 5w30 synthetic. Just a thought. Is the belt tight on both pulleys? Keep us posted on your outcome.

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
I can move the shift lever into forward and reverse and the belt is moving but the tractor doesn't go anywhere. Any suggestions? I did notice that the drive shaft on the 20.5 hp is a 1/4 inch smaller then the 25hp, do I need a shorter drive belt?
Thanks,
The belt and drive pulley on the engine may be moving, but is the drive pulley on the transmission moving? Or is the belt slipping around it? They seem pretty sensitive to length and tension, so even if the transmission pulley is moving some, it may not be enough for the pump to drive the wheels.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don’t want to hijack the thread, but have a question based on what I’m reading here.
I replaced the brake shaft but the tractor seems slow at full forward, I did not have this tractor prior to the repair so I can’t compare. How fast should it be and would the transaxle internal be a factor other than the oil? Do I need to do some adjustments externally? My 87 GT 6 speed feels like a race car in hi gear compared to this 96.

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Contsi, they are not super fast so don't expect it to run as quick as the older GT. I did notice a speed difference in running the synthetic oil. It seemed to be maybe a couple MPH quicker but the power was instant and not delayed like it was with the dino oil. It was about -15 out when I changed it last year so dino to syn oil difference was greater than in warmer months. Hope this helps ya.

·
22,343 Posts
I did notice that the drive shaft on the 20.5 hp is a 1/4 inch smaller then the 25hp, do I need a shorter drive belt?
Crankshaft diameter won't make any difference, but where the crankshaft is in comparison to where it was originally might. A quarter inch can make a difference if the tensioner is already at its max position.

Was the engine a straight bolt-in or did you have to drill new holes?

Did you get the belt routing correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brake shaft or low on fluid or fluid to cold to flow. Hydrogear had me change the fluid from 20w50 dino oil to 5w30 synthetic. Just a thought. Is the belt tight on both pulleys? Keep us posted on your outcome.
How tight should the belt be? I was able to put it on the pulleys with very little trouble

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crankshaft diameter won't make any difference, but where the crankshaft is in comparison to where it was originally might. A quarter inch can make a difference if the tensioner is already at its max position.

Was the engine a straight bolt-in or did you have to drill new holes?

Did you get the belt routing correct?
Straight bolt and I beleive the belt is routed correctly, do you have a picture or diagram?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The belt and drive pulley on the engine may be moving, but is the drive pulley on the transmission moving? Or is the belt slipping around it? They seem pretty sensitive to length and tension, so even if the transmission pulley is moving some, it may not be enough for the pump to drive the wheels.
The drive pulley on the tranny is moving but at a slower speed than the engine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts