My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 318 and ran some pressure tests and noticed I only getting a little over 700 psi at the front ports. I am thinking about shimming up to get some more pressure. 2 questions
1. Where is the valve located? I think it's between the two relief valve for the wheels to move freely
2. Shims. What can i use? Can I just use washers?

Also I took out that what I thought was the valve and I took out a spring but that was all was in there.
Thanks
Mike

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Super Moderator
33,798 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
700 isn't far from what you need to have. I think 750 is about max you want the system to run. Is it lacking power driving, steering, implements?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
700 isn't far from what you need to have. I think 750 is about max you want the system to run. Is it lacking power driving, steering, implements?
Implements are the problem. From the manual it shows 800-950 psi

·
Just John Deere
743 Posts
Mike,

Before shimming the relief valve, I would try regular HyGard if you are using Low Vis HyGard. I had a 322 that was weak with a loader, so I shimmed the implement relief valve and it did nothing. This was because the hydro was pretty well worn out. I switched to regular HyGard which is thicker (Higher Viscosity) and it made a noticeable difference.

GotDeeres

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,

Before shimming the relief valve, I would try regular HyGard if you are using Low Vis HyGard. I had a 322 that was weak with a loader, so I shimmed the implement relief valve and it did nothing. This was because the hydro was pretty well worn out. I switched to regular HyGard which is thicker (Higher Viscosity) and it made a noticeable difference.

GotDeeres
Already running the thicker stuff. My 318 is a 92

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I pulled the bolt out and the spring I see the oring around the bolt. But I don't see a shim? Where does the shim go? Pics would be great. Also does anyone have the out side diameter of the shim?

·
22,353 Posts
The implement relief is rated as 700 psi, standard, and up to 1000 psi, optional.

My Sundstrand has been running with Dexron ATF since 1977 (2500 hours) with no issues.

·
Just John Deere
743 Posts
Tudor,

According to JD Tech Manual TM1590, the implement relief valve requires a pressure of 850-975 PSI to be within specs.

Themlruts,

You can go to JD parts and see a blowup of the relief valve. If you do not have any shims, that could be your problem.

GotDeeres

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Well, my fathers 430, my two 332's and my brothers 330 all being really close to 750-they must all be bad then? They all work fine at those pressures for us.

·
22,353 Posts
Tudor,

According to JD Tech Manual TM1590, the implement relief valve requires a pressure of 850-975 PSI to be within specs.

Themlruts,

You can go to JD parts and see a blowup of the relief valve. If you do not have any shims, that could be your problem.

GotDeeres
Yup. That's the option that JD requested from Sundstrand. My info comes from a Sundstrand bulletin which gives the maximum option specs as well as the standard issue and not what the individual tractor manufacturers request. I prefer to use Sundstrand's info for a general guideline. Its too easy for someone to install the wrong spring or shims at manufacture or for a repair. They look the same.

·
Super Moderator
33,798 Posts
It's a model 90 Sustrand I can't find any reference to the size of the shims though.

·
Super Moderator
33,798 Posts
Themruts here's the part number off of JD parts site. It doesn't really explain what is in a "kit" Part Number:
AM31324 Part Price: 16.59 USD On Hand:
0 Description: KIT, SHIM PACK 140 All Makes Parts from John Deere Where Used

·
Super Moderator
33,798 Posts
When you get it do me a favor and post a picture of the "kit" so we can see what it has in it!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As promised
Also I measured all the shims.

Diameter:
6.20 mm

Thickness (You get 2 of each)
1.85 mm
.52 mm
.39 mm
.25 mm
.13 mm

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What shims did you use and how much pressure did you go up to?
This was along time ago. I don't remember what mm shim I used. I was at 800 and went up to around 1000. I would not go over this as you might start blowing hoses.
Thanks
Mike

·
22,353 Posts
This was along time ago. I don't remember what mm shim I used. I was at 800 and went up to around 1000. I would not go over this as you might start blowing hoses.
Thanks
Mike
Not likely. The usual minimum pressure rating for GT high pressure hoses is 1900 psi. Some are rated even higher. The steel lines and fittings are rated for 3000 psi or more.

Of more concern is the pressure rating of the pump. Excessive pressure breaks pump castings.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts