My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First post, new to this sight. I just purchased (new to me) Sovereign model 1692798 garden tractor. When I got home I parked it in my garage and went inside and ate lunch. When I came back out to admire my new toy, I leaned against it and it rolled forward. I was under the impression that a hydro transmission would prevent the tractor from rolling unless the "transport" plate was pushed down to depress the "poppets" on the relief/dump valves on top of the hydro unit. The transport plate was up and the poppets on the valves were up. The hydro trans seems to work OK when mowing. It does slow down a bit going up hills and speed up going down hills so I have to move the control lever to compensate. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that immediately after running it will not roll, but after it sits for a while, it can be rolled. Maybe the dump valves are sticking even though the poppets are up?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Slowing down while going up hills, etc, is normal to a degree. All part of the power losses (slippage) involved with hydros. It sounds like you need to check the oil level and type in the hydro. It may be draining down while it sits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I checked the fill tube and it is not to the top (overflowing). I can see with a flash light that the oil level is probably midway down the tube, maybe closer to the bottom. The hydro filter is black and I suspect the original filter and probably the original hydro fluid. Any suggestions on what type of fluid I should top it off with? Should I just use general purpose hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply Co.? Or would you suggest draining, replacing filter, and topping off with fresh hydro fluid?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I to am new to this site and this post caught my eye, I have the same tractor but my problem is it seems to go into neutral when going down hill the trans dosnt feel like its holding back.any thought what could be causing this? it goes uphill ok but even if i move the lever toward reverse it freewheels going down hill
Bob

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I'm no expert on hydros - I have a newer one, no problems yet. I suggest that you do a search on this forum about hydro oils. I think that the concensus is either 30 weight oil, or synthetic oil. There seems to be (no surprise) lots of opinions on the matter. If you can find out the brand of hydro perhaps you could go to their web site for info.
:goodl:

mrsnipy - the only suggestion I have is to make *sure* the freewheeling lever is *fully* in the running position.
:Welcome1:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Freewheeling lever? Im not familiar with that. where is it?
Bob

I'm no expert on hydros - I have a newer one, no problems yet. I suggest that you do a search on this forum about hydro oils. I think that the concensus is either 30 weight oil, or synthetic oil. There seems to be (no surprise) lots of opinions on the matter. If you can find out the brand of hydro perhaps you could go to their web site for info.

mrsnipy - the only suggestion I have is to make *sure* the freewheeling lever is *fully* in the running position.
:Welcome1:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Bob,
I don't know where it is on your Sovereign, but on my Conquest, it sticks out the rear, above the hitch area. Saxapahaw calls it the "Transport Plate". It is a lever that allows the mower to be pushed by hand when the engine is not running. I assume that it opens a valve or two inside the hydro, so that the hydraulic motor connected to the axles can rotate without trying to compress oil. If the lever is not fully in the "run" position, it just might be holding a valve open a bit, which would bleed oil away from the motor.
I should have mentioned the obvious - to make sure your lever is really moving the shaft going to the transmission fully, with minimal play in the linkage.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Bob you didn't say how old your Sovreign is but mine(1992 17GTH-L) has the Sunstrand hydro system and the "relief" or tow/push release is two small buttons on top of the transmission(sometimes with a springloaded metal handle to lock them down)

Sounds like what you really need is a new filter and fluid. Do not use motor oil in the Sunstrand Trans. Use Simplicity or equ. Hydro fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, my tractor is a 1994 same setup now I know what i was lookin for. changed my fluid tonight book said 3 qts only could put in 2 qts seems to be better need to get it good and hot to really tell.
Thanks
Bob

Bob you didn't say how old your Sovreign is but mine(1992 17GTH-L) has the Sunstrand hydro system and the "relief" or tow/push release is two small buttons on top of the transmission(sometimes with a springloaded metal handle to lock them down)

Sounds like what you really need is a new filter and fluid. Do not use motor oil in the Sunstrand Trans. Use Simplicity or equ. Hydro fluid.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I checked the fill tube and it is not to the top (overflowing). I can see with a flash light that the oil level is probably midway down the tube, maybe closer to the bottom. The hydro filter is black and I suspect the original filter and probably the original hydro fluid. Any suggestions on what type of fluid I should top it off with? Should I just use general purpose hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply Co.? Or would you suggest draining, replacing filter, and topping off with fresh hydro fluid?
Do you have the manual? If not, it is available at Simplicitymfg.com manuals.

It says replace fluid and filter every 400 hours, and to use "multi-purpose hydraulic transmission fluid".

I would replace the fluid and filter as per the manual - It can only help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I just purchased this tractor a few weeks ago, so I am going to try to get around to changing all the fluids, filters, and spark plugs this weekend so I have a fresh time line for future service intervals. My manual also it takes 3 quarts of hydro fluid, but I doubt all will drain from all the hoses, so 2 quarts may be about right. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All is ok now...Changed the filter and drained and added new fluid. Tractor holds back on hills now which is great because my place is more suited for goats...LOL
only thing manual said 3 qts of fluid with filter and I am leaking out the input seal now..sucked out a quart and seems to be dry now and still works ok.
Thanks for the help all....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts