My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say a new hydro pump cost 650.00, to rebuild you current pump the cost is $325.00 Would you repair or replace your pump?

Im asking this question because I rebuild the hydro pumps on a daily basis, the commercial cutters that want to save money will remove the pump and bring it to me for repair or rebuild. Im exploring the possibility of a "moonlight business" doing just hydro repairs.

Keep in mind not all hydros have to be completly rebuilt, many times its just an input shaft, and bearing that are bad. So the cost of this repair would be like $150.00 compared to 650.00 (I have seen pumps that have been replaced because a $4.00 gasket was leaking)

Im just curious....The pump i mentioned is on a scag ZTR.

As a comparable a pump on a WAW cost 450 new, if repairs/rebuild were half the cost or less would u rebuild or replace?

Also keep in mind this is the pump removed from the unit.

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you would repair it your self or have it repaired?

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
depends on if this would be a colplete and dependable repair or a "patch job";
I bought a parts mower a couple weeks ago identical to my Woods; the guy I got it from got it because he needed to pirate the hydro's from it ffor a Dixie Chopper; I saw the DC hydro laying there apart on a bench; and he claimed to have called "all over" and all he could find were places willing to send them back to Eaton for a RAR (rebuild and return) service and wanted $850 to do so. My woods is gettin old and one of the hydros is just a little weak as compared to the other I was thinking of pulling them this winter and "going thru" them but I have not been able to locate any "rebuild" parts. the hydros on my unit are Eaton 7 series.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I`d replace just because staying on top of my work is important, not taking a chance on and old pump, that been repaired. The new replacement including labor was less then I figured, plus I got a loaner. If I bought the new pump on line it would have been the same prices the dealer charged, $414.29 me. It was a bad pump that locked up and broke the hydro pump belt, I thought they just leaked. When it happened I had just finished the lawn. Stopped to pick a small branch out of a raised bed and pushed the levers forward and moved 6 inches, then rolled about a foot, got off and belts laying on the ground, broken.

Looked under mower and the left hand pump pulley is dripping wet with hydro oil, 804 hours on the meter. I didn't really need this to happen, no one does, oh well stuff happens. Used my Deere for a few days, then got a well used Scag Tiger Cub 19hp w/48" deck from the dealer when it came in off of loan, needed a seat cushion real bad was like riding sitting on just plywood. Had a bagger on that would just plug up, so took the blower off, it was different. I missed my Z Master, was gone a week they needed to order the pump.

·
10,731 Posts
In my case (as a homeowner) I would do a rebuild if I had a commercial grade ZTR if it was used just for my residence. If I was using it commercially, I would go the replacement route just for the shorter down time.

My Husqvarna ZTR is homeowner grade, and I will dance a jig the day it dies far enough to justify junking it out, or better yet, drive it off a cliff.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I`d replace just because staying on top of my work is important, not taking a chance on and old pump, that been repaired. The new replacement including labor was less then I figured, plus I got a loaner. If I bought the new pump on line it would have been the same prices the dealer charged, $414.29 me. It was a bad pump that locked up and broke the hydro pump belt, I thought they just leaked. When it happened I had just finished the lawn. Stopped to pick a small branch out of a raised bed and pushed the levers forward and moved 6 inches, then rolled about a foot, got off and belts laying on the ground, broken.

Looked under mower and the left hand pump pulley is dripping wet with hydro oil, 804 hours on the meter. I didn't really need this to happen, no one does, oh well stuff happens. Used my Deere for a few days, then got a well used Scag Tiger Cub 19hp w/48" deck from the dealer when it came in off of loan, needed a seat cushion real bad was like riding sitting on just plywood. Had a bagger on that would just plug up, so took the blower off, it was different. I missed my Z Master, was gone a week they needed to order the pump.
send that old one in for an overhaul as a spare; done right itll be every bit as good (if not better) than a new one and should be less costly.

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what its worth I just rebuilt one this weekend for $125.00. I am going to post a video of it shortly.

I do understand the down time issue. The commercial cutters are just sick when there unit goes down and we cant get to it for a day or two.

I especially hate mondays! Mondays when i arrive at work it looks like a commercial lawn mower show with all the trucks and trailers lined up dropping thier stuff of for service after the weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DTLMG, after watching your video on rebuilding the Hydro Gear pump, I would definetly consider sending you one for repair instead of paying the price for a new one, you look like you know what your doing. Since I'm just a home owner and have a back up mower, the down time is not an issue for me. I hope I don't have a hydro failure for quite some time on the new Scag Tiger Cat, but if I do after the warrenty expires I'll be sending you a PM. Thanks for the great viedo.

Charlie,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts