My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this post kinda has 2 purposes. 1st is that im looking for a rear pto kit for a 78 316. Second, when i was searching around for a 44 loader i noticed that the pto powers the pump for the loaders hydraulics. I also know that some skid steers use a hydraulic pump as a pto without a shaft or belt. Is it possible to put a pump on the front pto that powers say a snowblower on the back, leaving the front for a plow?

·
Super Moderator
25,860 Posts
Yes, since you can operate a blade on the machine and not have to remove the mower deck (mule drive is the point here) operating then you could use the mid-mount to power a pto pump. In fact the hydro tiller for the 318 series does just that. However you would have to modify the brace for the pump bracket if you wanted to use the blade. Here is a picture of the pump on my 42 inch hydro tiller on my 322, it is mid-mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, since you can operate a blade on the machine and not have to remove the mower deck (mule drive is the point here) operating then you could use the mid-mount to power a pto pump. In fact the hydro tiller for the 318 series does just that. However you would have to modify the brace for the pump bracket if you wanted to use the blade. Here is a picture of the pump on my 42 inch hydro tiller on my 322, it is mid-mounted.
thank you!! I didnt know that about the tiller. I thought it was a rear pto.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Randal, I'm not sure if you're ware of this, so I'll post. The '78 316 is kinda an odd duck, was only made in '78, and is called a "closed frame" tractor. The "other" 316's were made from '84-'92 and is are an "open frame" tractor. Front attachments are interchangeable with 3xx's, but rear attachments mount differently.

Getting back to your questions: Rear pto kit. Any rear pto for a 140 up to your 316 will work. It's pretty much an extension of your hydro input shaft/engine and is ALWAYS live...turning when engine runs. To disengage an attachment, whether pump tiller, or ???, you'll need a belt tensioning device or an electric clutch. Used rear pto kits run from $300 to $500 and usually don't have the rear mounting plate.

Hmm, rear mounted hydraulic driven snow blower. Doable but pricey. Pump, hyd motor, costs to fab brackets, hardware (pulley, belt, sundries, tubing/hoses & fittings) add rear piping to raise/lower, I'm thinking $1000 to $1500! For that price, just but another tractor dedicated to snow blowing!

'Bout all I've got right now, Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts