My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,i live 30metres from an steady flow on a small river,thinking about generating electricity from the nature,problem i cant figure out is,when we get a sub tropical storm the river rises quickley,no real time to alter anything close to the river,as it could now be flooded by as much as a metre or more,the wheel would have to rise with the water,any ideas?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
or just build a taller wheel ( longer radials and paddles ) and raise everything above the highest water mark expected ....

or a raft with the gen system in the middle of it , then long chain / rope tie downs on each bank[ or posts set in the river ] to the raft ( think of a swing set , with the gen on the seat )

·
21,425 Posts
Search - "turbine water power" or "micro hydro generation".

There are several options, depending on the head of water that you have available and how much power you want to generate.

One concern is debris, especially at flood time, floating down the river that can damage or take out your system entirely.

I found this one on youtube. There are several videos showing different methods and equipment.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for the info,mann there is a lot to look at,and a little more complicated than i first thought,will try to get some pics soon of the site i have in mind for the project.thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys,here are a few pics of the site i have in mind,but as you can see the rise and fall of the small river,after a downpour is quite substantial,and i feel it would take out the equipment,any ideas? thanks colin. PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts