My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else had had a problem with the oil tanks pealing on the inside? I have two tanks one out of a 4016 and the other one I bought on ebay off of a 4018 same tank, but bolth are pealing on the inside.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Interesting post regarding the inside peeling of the oil tank. This same issue has come up a few other times lately. It was hard to believe the first time and most replies were to the effect that something foreign had entered the oil tank. Makes one wonder now if the early 3000/4000 series may have a defective oil tank issue !!!!

:Stop:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I am not doubting what you say you are finding but here's what does not make sense to me. Plastic tanks are either blow molded or centrifugally molded. Either way, there is/are no "lamination/s" to peel off.

As such, I think that what you are finding is some sort of defect that left a thin layer of "plastic slag" inside the tank and it finally came unstuck. I have heard of the odd tank deforming right at the pump outlet but I chalked that up to the owner not keeping his cooler clean and oil temps rising out of control on a hot day while rototilling or bush hogging or some other equally demanding work.

Maybe I'm dead wrong but I don't think that this is an ongoing problem. I believe that you should be able to remove these items from the tank 100 percent and then put the tank back into service after a thorough internal inspection.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried to use a pressure washer and worked good for what I could hit through the hole, but can’t get back in there to reach a lot of the tank? I also tried to use some rocks and water and slosh it around that didn’t work. So if anyone has a good idea I would like to hear from you.
Thanks, Rob

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Are you telling me that you can still see pieces of this tank hanging off the interior walls? If so, that is totally bizarre. I would chalk that up to some sort of weird problem with the mix of the plastic or perhaps there was a temperature issue during the molding process that affected a small number of tanks.

I'm really sorry that you are experiencing this and I wish I had a solution to give you but I don't. Cleaning that sort of thing off the tank walls is going to nearly impossible given the size of the opening and the long fill neck. The price of a new tank will likely give you projectile diahrea upon hearing it. Used tanks do appear on e-Bay but not that often because not that many 4000 series tractors have reached the parting out stage. Even so, you must make sure any used tank you buy is the same part number as yours or it may not fit properly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have purchased one off of ebay and it also has the same blistering in inside. I did get a refund on it though.
I was thinking of trying to cut the top out and cleaning it good and then trying to JBweld or epoxy of some kind the top back on. What do you think?
Thanks, Rob

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
In one word? R I S K Y

Oil temps alone can top 200 F. Combine that with constant vibration and you have a recipe for disaster in my opinion. There ARE.........plastic welders available that can literally weld two pieces of plastic together. However, I have not used such a device nor do I know anyone that has. And before I cut a tank like that open, I'd be on some forum somewhere trying to find out how to recognize the various types of plastic out there and then I'd be doing a bunch of practicing and testing first.

I'd weld a "cappable" container back together, fiill it with water, put the cap back on and drop it from 10 to 20 feet in the air to see what happens. I'd keep doing that until it burst open or I got too tired to climb the ladder anymore. If it did burst, then I'd want to know if it was my weld that failed or just the tank material. That's what would tell me if I kinda had the whole thing mastered or not.

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/welders.html

·
Banned
2 Posts
i have seen this my self its strange ..Ithink it has to do with the plastic and petroleum products ..I have seen this in gas tanks and hydro tanks ..At first i thought it had to do with the additives people use in there lawn EQ ...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Perhaps your best off with a new tank, but if you cut the top off get pics of the inside and post them here so we can see it.

Try the yellow pages in your area for any plastics shops, I am lucky enough to live close by one and they can pretty much identify any plastic I bring to them and then sell me the appropriate glue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts