My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 yardman with a hydro drive, I think it may need the trans fluid changed, does anyone know what it takes?

OH, and I saw where someone had a thread about infamous yardman mowers, how they are throw away disposable mowers, mine is a 1990, I inherited it from my uncle who died in 1997, and have been using it ever since, best mower I have ever owned! The other guy with the thread about them said that his was a good one too.

·
22,668 Posts
Garden tractor or lawn tractor? What make and model of hydro?

Fluids acceptable for most hydros include ATF, motor oil, and most good quality hydraulic fluids. Type and viscosity are determined by the hydro manufacturer's specifications, location of use, environmental specifics, and the tractor manufacturer's recommendations.

Fluid acceptable for use where the land is basically flat or with only slight grades may not be quite as suitable for steeper slopes (location), and where air temperature exceeds 90° F on a regular basis, it may not be acceptable for sub zero temperatures (environmental).

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes...that was me. Mine is very good. can't say a bad thing about it.

Yours looks about 9 times better than mine! Have you ever had to add oil to the trans? I think I need to either change it or at least add some but I cant find a place to drain it. Dont know how to check the level in it either. Any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yours looks about 9 times better than mine! Have you ever had to add oil to the trans? I think I need to either change it or at least add some but I cant find a place to drain it. Dont know how to check the level in it either. Any ideas?
I haven't touched mine, but this summer I intend to replace the transaxle oil as preventative maintenance. I haven't looked into it but I think the answer is in this manual. If yours is the same as mine, I believe this manual is the correct one. Let me know what you learn. Us Yard-man owners are few and far between. I think you can click on the manual link and save it to your computer.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is not the same as yours, mine is only 13 hp with a 38 inch cut. I attempted to put oil in mine via the tube that comes up under the seat and thought at first that I was doing it, till it stopped taking it. I waited and waited for the oil in the tube to go down and it never did. Thought maybe it had taken some, so I plugged it back off and tried the mower and it mowed ok in my yard, but when I went down the drive to mow the shoulders of the road, coming back up the hill it would barely move. Got it back up and pulled the tube out and looked, it had still not taken the oil. I thought next I would take the flexible tube off down at the transaxle and try putting it in there, maybe the tube is stopped up somehow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK then, tanks for the help.
I was able to find a manual for mine in that link and I learned lots about it...although I have yet to work on it. I believe that after you score a manual, your problems will be solved. Post your results here if you don't mind. I'd like to know how you make out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts