My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Deutz-Allis 916 that I have owned a few weeks and have found a little valve which is too far gone to leave as is. What I am referring to the the charge relief valve according to what I see in the parts breakdown. Is this part something I can just eliminate with a plug or is is crucial? The parts I have on my rig are too gone to reuse and it seems that a solid plug may be as good as the simple valve that is there, or is this a intregal system that must be there? My tractor worked OK when I bought it and my mission has been to do a very light refreshment opposed to a total restoration. I found some hot rod engine paint that was as close to spring green as I could find and after some stern degreasing then paint, it looks much better than expected. Now the objective is to change the fluids and attend to the maintenence its not had since maybe new.

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
Relief valves are an integral part of any functioning hydraulic system. Without them, the system may not function for long. If the relief pressure is exceeded, parts break.

On many hydros, the charge pump supplies the implement lift hydraulics. With no relief valve, if a lift cylinder is deadheaded, the pump will fail from over pressure. They are designed for 700 - 1000 psi max. Lift cylinders are normally deadheaded when lifting implements to max height for transport. It takes less than a second of deadheading to exceed the pump's maximum pressure capability.

Aside from that scary scenario, removal of the relief valve and substituting a plug in your hydro won't blow up the pump. It will just dump all the fluid back into the rear end which will result in no hydraulic lift and no fluid to replenish the normal internal leakage in the hydro. The hydro will quit working in short order with no make-up fluid.

If the valve is that far gone that it is useless, you need a replacement... now.

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
There is a world of difference in function between a relief valve and a breather. However, they are both necessary for the proper functioning of a hydro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.