My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I posted this in Craftsman section but no feedback so I thought more people would see it here it here.

My neighbors Craftsman hydro has a hole in the case. The tractor model is 917-272-140 and the trans number is 319-0650 but they say it has been replaced with 150071. Has anbody had to buy a replacement and if so where is a good place.

We are not sure what made the hole in the bottom of the case but the tractor kept going until it ran out of fluid. We are going to plug the hole and fill the trans through the vent. We have nothing to lose. Does anybody know what kind of fluid to put in and how much ?

Thanks in advance
Rod

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Have you tried looking it up on the Sears website? Just a thought.......

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have the 0510 and it has a threaded plug for filling. The vent hole at the top of the expansion tank is not the way to fill it.

·
22,114 Posts
According to Sundstrand, any good quality hydraulic fluid. Apparently some manufacturers recommend 5w-30 or 10w-30 motor oil (found this out on another thread in this forum). I use Dexron in my Massey. These are all hydraulic fluids made to deal with high pressure and lubrication. There are probably many others and the unit manufacturers will want to sell their own at their price, if they don't consider the unit 'a throw-away'. In the U.P. winters, I would recommend the Dexron (Mercon) or low viscosity motor oil or hydraulic transmission fluid. I've been using Dexron in my MF1655 since that was what was in it when I bought it in 1982. Over half of my tractor use is snow removal and the rest in summer heat, very few hours in spring and fall. Of course this summer has temps more like spring or fall (11*F below normal) and I'm hoping for a relative upturn for next winter.

My Sundstrand takes 5 quarts, I don't think yours will need that much. Maybe 3 or 4 quarts.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. Sears sells the unit but I am looking for a better price. We are going to try to patch and fill the old one before buying a new one. I don't think it will run very long but we just want to try and save it. The tractor is 10 years old and it is a toss up of if it is worth replacing the trans or buying a new tractor.
Thanks again
Rod

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
We are going to try to patch and fill the old one ...
Does the hole look like it was caused externally and not from a component failure internally?

I had a look at the 0650 and it doesn't have an expansion tank like the 0510 so yes, the vent tube would be the place to fill it.

My 0510 calls for 20W-50 motor oil.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hole was caused from the inside, But it kept going. The only way my friend knew was the trail of oil on his next pass.
Rod

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Some thing caused the hole my bet is if you get it sealed it want go very far if at all
from all I seen about those trannys is when they have a hole some on the inside broke and its all over

The hole was caused from the inside, But it kept going. The only way my friend knew was the trail of oil on his next pass.

Rod

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we pluged the hole with epoxy putty. Then put two quarts of
20W50 in it ( that is all my friend said he could get in ) . He drove it around his yard and up the street. It is making a whining noise but not too bad. It goes frontward and backwards. I don't think it will run very long either but for some oil and putty we are going to see what happens. He has a good size yard and he said tomorrow he is going to cut. I will try and remember to report back on if he makes it or has to borrow my little JD to finish.
Rod

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you purge it ? I told him to try to put some more in after running it for a while.
Rodster

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update
He cut for the second time today. He said it is not making as much noise except in reverse. It has 3-4 hours run time on it now. I thought it would not make one hour.
Rodster

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
His tractor is still running. 2 hours a week and the last few weeks more as he has many trees and he is still picking up leaves. I thought we could just get by until we could replace it but still working fine.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update. I can't believe it is still going after almost two years. He has a big yard and it gets a lot of use. We never had to do anything to it after patching the hole and adding fluid. I thought that it might last a week or two.

when and if it does quit I would sure like to take it apart and see what punched the hole from the inside of the trans.

Rod

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's awesome news! If only everything of mine that broke could be fixed with some epoxy putty, that would be sweet. But of course my screw-ups usually tend to be a little more "spectacular". :duh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts