My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ingy 4020 and any time i try to go forward that thing wants to pull the front tires off the ground. It is just real jerky and I know that is not the way it is supposed to be. ANy idea why its dong that or what I can do to fix it. My back is starting to hurt and I look funny when I am mowing and start riding wheelies. LOL Please help

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Have you had this & it just started doing this? Wrong fluid can cause it due to oil foaming. The hy-drive units work great with Rotella 15w40 motor oil. If it's got straight hydraulic oil, it WILL foam & cause what you describe.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'd check the linkage on the travel control lever to the travel valve to see if they are worn and allow play instead of moving the valve smoothly.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I have a ingy 4020 and any time i try to go forward that thing wants to pull the front tires off the ground. It is just real jerky and I know that is not the way it is supposed to be. ANy idea why its dong that or what I can do to fix it. My back is starting to hurt and I look funny when I am mowing and start riding wheelies. LOL Please help
I would check the linkage for play. Sounds like the spool is not moving with the control handle and then the pressure is causing it to catch up. Pull the deck out and get under, watching the linkage as you have some one move the handle. If this doesn't show the problem, you may have to jack the tractor up securly and do the same thing with the system under pressure.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The most common cause of what you describe is "well worn linkage". If your tractor has a lot of hours on it, then the travel lever has been moved back and forth a zillion times. This causes the hole in the bracket welded to the travel lever rod to get larger and the little rod that goes into the hole also gets grooved. From there, you have the little ball-joint connector that also wears and ends up with free play in it. Even the top bushing for the travel lever gets sloppy as does the hole the bottom of the rod goes into.

All these things add up to "excess play" in the linkage. Now it might seem miniscule to you but it isn't to the travel valve. If you look at the actual travel valve under the floor, you will see that the amount of travel the spool actually makes between full in and full out is pretty small compared to the amount you move the lever up top. Keep in mind that that small bit of travel is for FORWARD, NEUTRAL and REVERSE.

So if you have a 1/4" of free play in the linkage, that represents a substantial amount of travel for the spool itself. If you aren't controlling the spool really tightly, then hydraulic pressure inside the travel valve will move the spool rapidly in the forward direction and that's like dumping the clutch in a stick shift car.

Do whatever it takes to eliminate ALL of the free play and I'll bet that your lurching problem goes away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for all the great help. I am going to change my oil and filter for number one and then go straight to the linkage. I was kinda thinking about the linkage being the problem but just wanted to see if there were any other reasons that would cause this.

Thank you again and I will let you know how it turns out. Oh and it has 4500 hours on it so ya it has had a lot up use.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Wow good to know some worn nylon is the only complaint a CI GT can come up with after 4500 hours!
Giver er nother 60,ooo minutes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts