My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I was recently gifted a 165 Hydro and have begun replacing components that were either in rough shape or no longer working. I've been reading posts on this site during that process and have found the tips and suggestions very valuable. This is my first post for help as I'm not sure where to start with my current issue. When I fire up the mower and drive it around there is alot of noise that comes from somewhere on the rear of the mower. I'm not sure if the hydro would make loud noises or whether it would be the differential. When I received the mower and started replacing all the filter, fluids, and belts I found that the fluid level in the differential was extremely low so I'm afraid that maybe the previous owner caused some damage.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to isolate what may be causing the noise or maybe some ways to eliminate some possibilities.

Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It is normal for the hydro to whine especially at top speed. Mine does that. Other than that mine doesnt make any strange noises. I got mine as a gift too. I love it. It is better than the nearly new Craftsman I also have. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise I get is definitely not the hydro whining...it's really loud. I wish I had a better way to describe it...something is definitely not right with it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
probably just the pulleys,they are cheap,replace all 3 and go from there,these pulleys are almost always shot and noisy,i'm talking about the trans drive pulley's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the drive pulley make noise even when the tractor is not moving? Or would they only make noise when the tractor is moving?

·
Registered
69 Posts
When my pulleys were going out on my 185, they made a high pitched screeching noise, replaced the clutch and idler pulleys and all is quiet now. They will squeal even when the tractor is in "neutral" as the drive belt maintains tension. Your 165 may be different, if you have the Eaton trans your sheave will be on the side instead of on top. Also if you were low on fluid, you may have a little air in the system, you could try bleeding it and see if that helps- good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts