My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed most people recommend 15W-40 or 20W-50 over 30W for the hydrualic system. I can see in colder areas some winter benefits to the multi-wieght oil. What other benefits are there? Here in SE TX sustained temps below 32 F / 0 C are the exception so I am not sure there is much to be gained on that end but is there any benefit with the multi-weight oils at higher temperatures? Is there any better performance from the multi weights?

I guess I am trying to see if there are any performance benefits that over come the simplicity of having to only keep one oil wt one hand for servicing the tractors.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you are in a hot area 30w is fine, but remember that when the engine cranks over the hydraulic pump turns also so in cold weather the starter motor does double duty.
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
Because hydraulic systems work at high pressures, you need to use certified hydraulic fluid. If you are talking about using regular oil in a hydraulic system, it should not be done. Regular oil will foam and your system will develop air related issues. Most lawn equipment require a low viscosity hytran fluid for hydrostatic and hydraulic uses.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Actually the Case hyd. system is designed to use std. motor oil NOT hyd. fluid.

Brad

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Case/Ingersoll machines are designed to use motor oil in the hydraulic system. Regular Hydraulic fluid does lead to a known and noticable performance loss in these machines.

·
J.I. Case Connoisseur
31 Posts
If I were you even in SE TX I would still use 15w40. Just my two cents

Foxtail Colt Case & Ingersoll hydraulic systems are designed to use motor oil NOT hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid will cause a drastic decrease in power!!!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have 20w50 synthetic Valvoline in both my Ingersolls, 448 and a 4018. I used to change it to 10W30 for winter but since changing to synthetic it stays in year round.
But I do agree with you overall.:thThumbsU
Bob MacGregor in CT

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I have noticed most people recommend 15W-40 or 20W-50 over 30W for the hydrualic system. I can see in colder areas some winter benefits to the multi-wieght oil. What other benefits are there? Here in SE TX sustained temps below 32 F / 0 C are the exception so I am not sure there is much to be gained on that end but is there any benefit with the multi-weight oils at higher temperatures? Is there any better performance from the multi weights?

I guess I am trying to see if there are any performance benefits that over come the simplicity of having to only keep one oil wt one hand for servicing the tractors.
Considering where you live, 30W will work all year round for you. It is what I run myself and I do so on the advice of Bill Parkin, the chief hydraulics engineer for the old Ingersoll company for many years and friend of mine. It can get pretty hot in Texas during the summer and if that's the main time you use this tractor, then you could even run 40W in it. One of the really important things is to make sure the oil cooler is kept meticulously clean. Remove your hood completely and get down on your hands and knees and examine this cooler close up.

The next important item is the cooling fan. Damaged or missing blades means less air flow through the cooler and that translates into hotter oil, which can harm hoses and damage the oil itself.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Because hydraulic systems work at high pressures, you need to use certified hydraulic fluid. If you are talking about using regular oil in a hydraulic system, it should not be done. Regular oil will foam and your system will develop air related issues. Most lawn equipment require a low viscosity hytran fluid for hydrostatic and hydraulic uses.
When dispensing information on a forum, it's a good idea to have direct experience with the tractors you are commenting on. The use of motor oil in hydraulic systems is quite common and that extends to hydrostatic drives used in ZTR's and Garden Tractors.

·
Registered
86 Posts
And even mainstream big tractors. Case recommended 10 wt motor oil for use in their early Case-O-Matic tractors and the transmission and hydraulic system used the same oil.

When dispensing information on a forum, it's a good idea to have direct experience with the tractors you are commenting on. The use of motor oil in hydraulic systems is quite common and that extends to hydrostatic drives used in ZTR's and Garden Tractors.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
I see a John Deere in your avatar so I'll let it slide. :fing20: lol
In normal circumstances that would be true, but what has been said by CASTOFF and others is correct for the CASE Hydriv system.
I use Amsoil 15w40 with great results.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My Grasshopper with the G2 system runs Mobil One 20/50. My brothers 70's Thomas skid steer runs straight 30 weight. Must be the exception to every rule clause.
I've never dealt with one of those all wheel steer tractors but does anybody know if they throw mud on you when your turning. It looks like the tires stick out from under the fenders pretty dang far.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I see a John Deere in your avatar so I'll let it slide. lol
Oh boy, here we go! :sidelaugh

Let's go easy on our JD friends - they mean well. In fact, if he gets the opportunity to acquire and work with a Case/Ingersoll he'll learn these things and become one of us some day. Then he too will be able to see the error in the ways of JD followers.

One of the most important observations above was by castoff regarding cooling, which raises a question. Has anyone here got any experience with trying to increase the cooling capacity on their Ingy and if so how did they do it and how did it work out?

JN

1 - 13 of 13 Posts