My Tractor Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Oh, something dawned on me about these Poulans. They seem very underpowered. I started filing the drags on the saw chain on mine and it picked up the power significantly. Made it usable where before it was frustrating as heII bogging down in anything but a 6" log.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a buddy who is really into chainsaws, builds them from kits and goes to big meets and stuff. He hooked me up with the Stihl I have.

Those Poulans usually are pretty underpowered. How many CC is it?

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I have a buddy who is really into chainsaws, builds them from kits and goes to big meets and stuff. He hooked me up with the Stihl I have.

Those Poulans usually are pretty underpowered. How many CC is it?
I think it's 35cc. I used to have a tiny Mac10 saw I put a 16" bar on and it had more power than this thing lol--at least until I filed the drags. It ran great today not even having too much trouble with the bottom cuts near the base.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think it's 35cc. I used to have a tiny Mac10 saw I put a 16" bar on and it had more power than this thing lol--at least until I filed the drags. It ran great today not even having too much trouble with the bottom cuts near the base.
Yeah you need a bigger saw. 35cc isn't meant to cut through much more than 6-8" of hardwood. If you are cutting into 12-16" logs regularly, check into an Echo CS-400. The Echo warranty is the best around and they are powerful amd well made saws, especially when you consider the price.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Yeah you need a bigger saw. 35cc isn't meant to cut through much more than 6-8" of hardwood. If you are cutting into 12-16" logs regularly, check into an Echo CS-400. The Echo warranty is the best around and they are powerful amd well made saws, especially when you consider the price.
Dang, price on that isn't bad. $300 at HD. I was expecting >$500. May be on the short list for when I throw the Poulan down the holler for not running. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Dang, price on that isn't bad. $300 at HD. I was expecting >$500. May be on the short list for when I throw the Poulan down the holler for not running. :)
It's a good saw for a good price. They go on sale usually in the spring and again in the fall. When it comes to new saws I'll take an Echo over a Stihl 9 times out of 10. Echo has a way better warranty, you aren't paying so much for the name, and all of their saws are considered professional grade vs Stihl sells homeowner/ranch saws and actual pro saws. My biggest gripe with the Echos is that on certain models some of the controls feel a little crude compared to the Stihls. Minor complaint. Run them at 40 or 50:1 with ethanol free gas and they will start easy and last a long time.

40cc is a nice size for a homeowner with a little bit of property. It's big enough for most jobs you'll encounter but not so big that its too heavy and awkward to use for lighter jobs.

Just something to keep in mind in case the Poulan throws a fit again.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Did some digging today. Prev owners built up a bunch of dirt against the deck behind the house against landscape timbers.

Hold water and everything is rotting. I'm digging it out and grading the yard down away from the house. The bucket did really well as some of that dirt has volleyball sized rocks in it.

I did loosen some of it with my cultivator but it did about as well just putting the bucket teeth down and back dragging.
20200208_133309.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
That looks like some heavy mud, nice job. Sure beats using a shovel and a wheelbarrow!
Thank you sir. Before I built this one day I hand shoveled about half the amount I did today into my dump cart and hauled it. Took me all day and I was sore as heck for days.

I spent about an hour to do twice the work today. Hydraulics are awesome. :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thank you sir. Before I built this one day I hand shoveled about half the amount I did today into my dump cart and hauled it. Took me all day and I was sore as heck for days.

I spent about an hour to do twice the work today. Hydraulics are awesome. :D
Every job is easy when you have the right tool.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Every job is easy when you have the right tool.
I've been needing this one for a looong time. Got some holes in my field filled in as well. Less bumpy mowing come spring.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #113

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
101 - 115 of 115 Posts