My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Tudor... Got one for ya ?.

The time has come to install the pump on my bolens for the ARC 500 loader. I cannot for the life of me figure out what way it rotates.

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1366841158.365444.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1366841167.504848.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1366841176.877077.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1366841191.810581.jpg

Got any ideas? I cannot find any brand or other markings on it other then "out" and "in" (picture 2)

Thanks!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found "Cessna". And "made in USA"

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
It's a gear pump. So it will work either direction.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Gear pumps will usually work in either direction, quite often the supply port is bigger. if you're unsure of the rotation just remember, the oil goes around the outside of the gear and is squeezed out when they mesh....Mike

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to use the original "in" and "out". Would there be a way to determine the rotation so I can keep this configuration? I don't want to fab a mount that I'll have to later redo...

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Hydraulic gear pumps that go either directions are motors. Most gear pumps are uni-directional, with the possibility of converting to the other direction. The "in" port will always be the in port. In the top picture the top of the pulley will go to the left, so it a CCW rotational pump. It can be converted if that doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's perfect! Thanks for the info!

·
22,335 Posts
Put a bit of oil in the IN port, cover the IN port with your hand and turn the pulley by hand clockwise when facing the pulley.

If you feel a bit of suction on the covering hand, it turns clockwise. Pressure build up, it's counter clockwise.

Do not use a motor!!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it turns out I am going to have it spin the opposite way... is there something I have to do to change that?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Turn the pump around backward!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the pump will only fit one way... I recall earlier in the thread someone saying I could run it either way being it's a gear pump...

·
22,335 Posts
Pump bearing lubrication is supplied from internal porting from the low pressure side of the pump in many cases. If you run the pump in the opposite direction, it will blow the front seal out due to that lubrication coming from the high pressure side.

Some pumps can be reversed with a kit and others use different lubrication porting that allows them to be turned in either direction.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Your Cessna pump has pressure balanced seal plates. These have to be turned around as well as the middle housing. This is why I said the input is always the input, because when you change the rotation the suction moves to the other side, but the suction port is still the suction port.

I happen to have a couple Cessna pumps, if you want I'll change rotation on one, as a demo.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Cessna pump has pressure balanced seal plates. These have to be turned around as well as the middle housing. This is why I said the input is always the input, because when you change the rotation the suction moves to the other side, but the suction port is still the suction port.

I happen to have a couple Cessna pumps, if you want I'll change rotation on one, as a demo.
That would be great! just a few pics of what I'm flipping around...

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
First of all, clean the pump. A light brushing with a wire brush. Paint is a contamination. Then take the hoses off. The mounting plate can stay on if you like, but I think it's better to take off and put in vise with the staff down.

Okay I'll need some time to get set up. Pictures to follow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts