My Tractor Forum banner

Hydraulic problem, HELP!!!!

3K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Tinkerdad 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a older lgt ford tractor that has been cut down to a bare minimum( by previous owner/owner's) I have since built a buggy for my girls with it. Was told it ran a year before I bought it. Has sat for about 3 since I've owned it. Had a slight problem with the motor turning the pump the wrong way. Not the original motor, new motor was mounted backwards from original.

Well it's moved a time or to since I've been working on it not more than a ft of two, since my shop is small. Yesterday I pulled it out the shop and put the top on and backed it back in, move probaly 20 ft. It was jerky and hesitant to move. Then last night as I was driving it to the house it just quit moving. Hydro lever engages and it tries to move but it doesn't, jacked the rear end up, same thing. Changed the fluid, no change. Fluid is full, no filter on it ( how I got it).

I need suggestions on where to go now???????????

#9 ·
My current situation.

I have into the pump. All looks well, nothing looks out of place. But I'm not a hydo expert. I'm been into the trans axle. All looks good. But then again this is the first one I've ever been in. 2nd time in the transaxle. 1st was because of the high/low lever was bent, ( was when I bought).

Still nothing points to a major mechanical problem. So I assume I have a hydro problem.

#12 ·
Seems like hydrostat is not getting enough charge. Could be low oil, could be failed charge pump. Also, it could be charge pump is sucking air. The chain drive is causing a side load. This can upset the shaft seal; especially if the seal is old. You should test charge pressure, but that requires a gauge and a needle valve. Try plastering grease around shaft where the seal is and/or running the pump directly with drill gun. Eaton has an extra bearing option for operating with side load.

#19 ·
Not likely. More like a repair kit to replace the (possibly) broken gears in the charge pump.

Air ingestion is also a possibility, but it shouldn't shut down the pump totally, just make it operate erratically. If it was sucking air on the inlet side bad enough to cause shut down, it would leak oil with the engine shut off. Your pic indicates a hard line between the pump and reservoir which will result in some seepage of fluid if it is leaking air. If it was a hose, the same might not be true.

I have been into the charge pump and found now broken gears.

I was able to find online a used hydro, hard lines, and a filter. I have them coming. Gonna put it back to stock and see where that gets me

#18 ·
I was looking at your original post; https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/hydraulic-promblems-i-think.1321737/#post-12230131
The problem with this project is that it wasn’t running when you got it. The previous owner had a problem and gave up. You bought his problem. Maybe he modified the charge pump in his attempt to get it working. I think you’ll have take apart the charge pump and take lots of pictures. When the engine is running, what rotation is the input shaft; CW or CCW ( looking at the end of input shaft).

#20 ·
I believe you are correct.
It is spinning ccw with the chain drive. Problem was the new motor. It not the original motor, and I just got a pile of parts. The previous owner had pieces of a driveshaft attached to the new motor, as if he was attempting to replace the motor. So I continued down that path without doing research. I was unaware that the original motor attached to the flywheel side.

But now on the 2nd of January I'm expecting a new ( to me) hydro pump,filter,and lines. All off the same tractor.

#21 ·
Hydronerd,
In the original post the buggy would do nothing, but after we talked I turned motor around and got some movement. But as the project wasn't finished I couldn't drive it. Then the first time I was able to drive it was like it was the way I described in this post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.