My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 430 with 3 pt. and 60" mower. Should the machine be able to lift the back end with the lift arms if there is enough travel of the lift arms?

·
22,347 Posts
Lift the back end of what?

If you mean your tractor, that would require down pressure, and very few brands have that option.

If it did have that capability, it would depend on how much ballast is carried on or in the rear tires. For my MF1655, that's 430 lb of wheel ballast plus the rear end of an 1140 lb tractor. I don't think the 640 lb of lift available from your 3PH could quite manage that.

Depending on which direction the cylinder of the 430 3PH operates and if you could lock the linkage so that it does have downpressure, it might be able to lift the rear of your tractor, but not if it had ballast applied to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Bottom line unless you custome make the rockshaft-it won't lift. The majority of 3 points are meant to be in "float" so that only the weight of the system is putting the down pressure. There are some exceptions and I have seen a couple 400 L&G JD tractors with down pressure as they have the front and rear lifted up from the implements alone. Not the case with the 430 though.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
GTs' are a different animal! My GT has down pressure on the rockshaft, with a little travel in the links that connect to the 3PH arms.

That said, I can easily lift the back of the GT with the arms. I have done it when I got hung in a ditch, mowing. I threw a rock under the arm, lifted the tractor, and got it out. PHEW!! It saved a walk to the shed for another tractor!!

Actually, a good sized guy can pick up the back of a GT, they are not that heavy.

Except for Gravely, the engine is in the front. :dunno:

·
22,347 Posts
GTs' are a different animal! My GT has down pressure on the rockshaft, with a little travel in the links that connect to the 3PH arms.

That said, I can easily lift the back of the GT with the arms. I have done it when I got hung in a ditch, mowing. I threw a rock under the arm, lifted the tractor, and got it out. PHEW!! It saved a walk to the shed for another tractor!!

Actually, a good sized guy can pick up the back of a GT, they are not that heavy.

Except for Gravely, the engine is in the front. :dunno:
It takes a pretty big guy to lift the back end of an 1100 lb GT, with or without implements or ballast. The engine weighs only a bit more than the hydro and final drive and it's behind the front axle. The 80 lb of tires and rims are a bonus.

I wouldn't want him mad at me!

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
As a youth, I worked at a service station. One of our customers was a BIG guy.

He weight lifted daily with wrestler Bruno Sammartino.

Goofing around one day, he grabbed two handfuls of the blue shop rags, and lifted the FRONT of a 1964 Pontiac Bonneville off the ground.

He was a big guy!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The only GTs with down pressure that I know of are Case/Ingersoll. May be others, but I've never encountered one. I currently have a JD 318 and 455 as well as a Case 444, 446 and old 442, and a Cub Cadet 1641, Only the Cases have the capability of down force.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts