My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but...

I just went by the Kubota dealer and bought enough hydraulic fluid to do the change in my BX25D. What they gave me was Kubota UDT fluid. The Kubota manual calls for Kubota UDT-2 fluid. Is this the right fluid? What are you guys using?

Normally I would just default to trusting the dealer, but the guy who sold me the fluid specifically insisted that a 50-hr new tractor hydro fluid change is not at all necessary. "Wait until 200-300 hours" he said. Um, I think he's wrong, since I have the manual which states a 50-hr fluid change is required for proper break-in.

As always, thanks in advance for your opinion!

Vance

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Not sure on the fluid, but my manual states only filter change at 50hrs, changing the fluid wouldn't hurt either way though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Older BX manuals stated that the full fluid change is necessary (there are a few threads in the archives...) while newer ones just state that the filter should be removed, cleaned, & replaced. (Lots of luck in not spilling a lot of fluid doing this; it's possible, just a PITA!!) When I bought mine the choice was UDT or SUDT. Difference was the operating temperature range IIRC; with the SUDT being better. I didn't purchase the fluid at the time I bought it and ended up buying Travellers brand UDT from TSC. Only thing I've noticed is that when it heats up from being worked hard it tends to loose pressure until it cools off a bit; likely due to a loss of viscosity at the higher temps. I now have a 5 Gal. bucket of SUDT or UDT-2 (don't remember which) in the shed waiting for my 300hr change this spring.

·
What did you say ?
582 Posts
BX's do run at higher oil temperatures and should have the high temp hydraulic oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts