My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would overfilling the Hydro fluid on the Eaton 11 be a possible cause of a filter blowout? I topped off my fluid yesterday and about 30 sec after I started up, heard a loud "pop" and fluid was streaming out. I did do a filter relocation from the old in-line filter, with a filter bracket from an old Bolens.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
make sure your lines are on correctly, you can't pump the fluid through the filter backwards. they have check valves and only allow the fluid to flow one way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmmm, that could be my issue. The Bolens filter bracket that I used had no indication of which port was in vs. out. I used the old Bolens filter that came with the bracket at first and had no problems. When I topped off the fluid the other day, I also switched to a new Fram filter that I had. I put the Bolens filter back on after I blew out the Fram. Perhaps the check valve in the Bolens filter is shot? How can I figure out which port is in or out on my filter bracket? Does the fluid pump down the middle of the filter and out the outside holes or vice versa? Edit: Yep I'm pretty sure the lines are reversed after reading about how an oil filter works. :banghead3

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Woops! I would be flushing out your rig now! All the cucka in that old filter now just went through your system :( , plumb it up correctly and hope the old filter wasn't too dirty ?
you could see by pulling the drain plug and catching the fluid in a clean white pan. If it's clean then the new filter should be fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I will check that out this weekend. It shouldn't be too bad since I completely drained the system this spring when I re-built the tractor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts