My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new electric log splitter, light duty, only 4 tons. It holds 3.5 quarts of hydraulic fluid and the manual lists several acceptable hydraulic fluids for changing the fluid every 150 hours. Examples are Shell Tellus 22 and Mobil DTE 11. The manual does not indicate what the unit was shipped with.

If I need to add oil to the factory load can I just use one of the listed, or is it unwise to mix different brand fluids? The manual also says "equivalent" oils may also be used, but I have no idea how one determines equivalent. Perhaps any jack oil rated at greater than 4 tons would be acceptable oil. :dunno:

·
Electrician
937 Posts
I probably would not mix different types of oil because it is hard to tell what is equivalent. But if you change the oil and put in any good quality hydraulic oil like you get in gallons at tractor supply co. will work. You can even use automatic transmission fluid which is extremely stable and you would really never have to change it. There is no danger here of damaging anything, the worse thing that could happen is it wouldn't work so well and you'd have to try another type. I don't think you will have any problem with standard hydraulic fluid or tractor fluid.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the manual says to change the oil at 150 hours. As I am splitting only a part of the wood I burn I doubt that I will ever hit 150 hours. But, if the fluid gets below the fill mark I will just change the fluid to be sure I don't mix up a problem.:thanku:

The new splitter works great, I have split maybe 1/4 cord of very fresh white Birch. The electric splitter has no problem breaking it open, but the freshness of the internal wood is such that it tends to string out fibers to the base of the split, making it necessary to pull the split apart. The pusher/ram travel comes to about 4" of the splitting head and that is not enough for some of my Birch rounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts