My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys. :howdy:

I noticed my 224 drive motor is not the same in reverse than it is in forward. I mean by that, I idle my engine speed down, and I crawl forward to the workshop and I can't climb the little incline ramp unless I give it some throttle and build up pressure in the hydros. BUT

I also noticed, If I back up to the same ramp to the workshop, at Idle, it continues crawling up the ramp.

I concluded that I have more reverse power than I have forward power.

So My question is, in a Hydrive Motor like a 200 series, with a rotor assembly that can be reversed around, end for end and be re-assembled, has anyone ever tryed to get more life out of their drive motors by turning this rotor around in the motor body before?

Just wondering, since I want 100% power in both forward, and reverse when I fabricate a foot pedal to my 224 loader I might have to replace this rotor assembly part#C18110.
:thanku:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Assuming your linkage is adjusted and there is no slop so that the spool is moving total distance in/out, I have heard some guys have disassembled the drive motor and re-ground the plates flat. Apparently they do have a tendency to wear more in the forward direction because it is used more than reverse. I would be pleasantly surprised if you can buy replacement parts for these drive motors but anything is possible.

:fing32:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming your linkage is adjusted and there is no slop so that the spool is moving total distance in/out, I have heard some guys have disassembled the drive motor and re-ground the plates flat. Apparently they do have a tendency to wear more in the forward direction because it is used more than reverse. I would be pleasantly surprised if you can buy replacement parts for these drive motors but anything is possible.

:fing32:
I'm with you about the availability of these replacement parts. :praying:

I have removed the inspection plate below the steering tower, and with the tractor secured on jack stands, used a ruler to measure the spool distances out to go reverse and in to go forward, and there was not enough difference to talk about.
I just think my drive motor is tired, oneway only. It'd be nice if I could go play inside that motor to find out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the end plates are worn it would have the same effect in either direction. It would have to be the bumps in the rotor that might wear more in forward because it is used more. There is some internal leakage built into these motors for lubrication but the pump has enough GPM to compensate. As things in the motor wear, a little more flow (spinning the pump faster) is required. As for your original question, I have never tried to reverse the rotor group but would be interested in knowing the result. I don't think that you will gain much but could be wrong. Since you notice it on a slope it may be something as simple as the difference in pushing the weight (forward) verses pulling (reverse).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
What you really need to do Jay is swap it out for a 400 series motor.
That's supposedly what they did to make the Torq model and in your case that's what you would be better off with. More torque.

I seem to remember you saying awhile back that your travel lever didn't actuate the valve till you were through the range a ways. Have you adjusted your linkage?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What you really need to do Jay is swap it out for a 400 series motor.
That's supposedly what they did to make the Torq model and in your case that's what you would be better off with. More torque.

I seem to remember you saying awhile back that your travel lever didn't actuate the valve till you were through the range a ways. Have you adjusted your linkage?
Your right, my travel lever needs a lot more travel to engage the wheels, in forward, that is why I removed the inspection plate, and verified everything was tight, there is no slop nowhere. and the spool moves equally both direction.
I have had that eversince I got the tractor, not something new. but now that I am more comfortable with the hydraulics I wanted to know if someone had overhaulled their motors before. I can't find any threads on the subject, and was just wondering.
I have a lot of torque, it is speed i need a little more in forward, going with a 400 motor, will redure my speed. :dunno:

That is on the back burner for now. What we need now is snow.:trink40:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey guy's, I have a 3018 that does the same thing with the control arm. When I go forward I have to push the arm much farther than I do when going in reverse. Just wondering were the adjustment is and if it will help with the prob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.