My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting the 1256 Hydro together... works great except for the ALREADY REBUILT cylinder... Leaks out of the front. So I took it apart again, bought a new seal for the front (I had forgot to replace it the first time) and it still leaks.... any thoughts? I am starting to become frustrated with this :dunno:

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
It sounds like oil is getting around the front guide. I wonder if your orings are the right size or the piston rod is worn or has a scratch in it.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
Is it the right front packing/ seal? Do you have the packing/seals facing the right direction? Is there any scratches in the Cylinder Rod? Both of which would let it leak.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I rebuilt the cylinder on my 1257 and it still leaks a little bit too. Not real bad, just wont keep attachments in the up position for very long but only ever has about a drop or 2 of fluid on it. My problem however is that when my late brother in law restored it 20 years ago there was some rust on the exposed part because it was always stored with attachments in the down position, well he polished the rust off with some emery paper, so I think that's why mine still leaks.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the rod is in good condition... when you say the seals need to be facing the right way, do you mean the rubber O-rings? By leak... I mean pour out, like a steady flow!!! also, the hydro unit itself (eaton 10) works great for about 15 seconds, than it slows down until the tractor moves very slowly... if I turn it off and let it sit for a little while, it works again for 15 -20 more seconds..... Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
101 Posts
For the O-rings, there are 4 or 5 total. If I remember right there should be 2 kind of flat looking ones and 2-3 regular round ones. The flat ones needed to go a certain way, I didn't do it I had an Air Force hydraulic buddy help me and he put those ones the right way and told me why they went that way but I just can't remember right now. If it's leaking that bad there is something wrong with the O-rings, wrong size, or maybe 1 got damaged during assembly. For the eaton 10, sorry I have no clue.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
the rod is in good condition... when you say the seals need to be facing the right way, do you mean the rubber O-rings? By leak... I mean pour out, like a steady flow!!! also, the hydro unit itself (eaton 10) works great for about 15 seconds, than it slows down until the tractor moves very slowly... if I turn it off and let it sit for a little while, it works again for 15 -20 more seconds..... Thoughts anyone?
What are you running for fluid in the hydro? Have you changed the fluid recently? It sounds like either a worn out hydro or air in the system.

Jason

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had taken the Hydro apart because the neighbor had given us watery fluid... ouch...
I'm guessing its just air in the system (tips for bleeding it?)... but the lift cylinder has me beat!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.