My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently purchased a MTD 995. It has the 18HP Briggs, three point, hyd lift, etc. Came with mower deck and snowthrower. At time of purchase, no accessories were attached, so when trying out the hyd lift, it seemed to work fine. Big surprise after getting the rig home and correctly attaching the mower deck. The deck lifts very very slowly. I changed hyd oil and filter which looked quite clean to begin with, but changed them anyway. Owners manual describes my problem and a fix, so my hopes were high. I removed acorn nut on the lift valve, backed off the lock nut, and turned the set screw in. Tried the set screw in all positions but no improvement. Is there something else I can do? I really hate to think the hydro pump is bad, it's the same pump for the drive as it is for the lift, and the drive works great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi again, just adding what I forgot to mention the first time. After using and mowing with this rig the last couple of weeks, I did notice the hyd lift does work better upon a cold start up, as in the first few minutes, after that it works little if at all. That may be a clue for troubleshooting. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
In the past, if anybody had problems with the hydro or lift, it was pointed at the oil filter. Some of those automotive filters doesn't work well on the hydro. I used a NAPA gold filter on mine. So I know they work.
On my tractor the bracket was bent that holds the lift control valve. It was limiting the motion so it would only lift and not go down.

A couple ideas . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts