My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 48 inch 3 blade deck. Each blade is attached to a spindle which mounts to the deck and has a splined shaft that goes up and mates with a splined pulley. I have replaced one spindle and pulley two times now. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong? Within an hour of mowing with the new pulley and spindle, the spindle spins in the pulley stripping out the splines.
New belt, new spindle, new pulley, freshly sharpened blades, and for some reason the same pulley and the spindle spin and round each other out. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Maybe post some pics of how the failed parts look. And when you installed the new parts, did the blade spin pretty freely afterwards (with no belt on, of course)?

I've got a Snapper 52" deck w 3 blades, and I've had one spindle partially strip the splines between the spindle and the pulley, and that was because the through bolt wasn't tightened down enough and had come loose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe post some pics of how the failed parts look. And when you installed the new parts, did the blade spin pretty freely afterwards (with no belt on, of course)?

I've got a Snapper 52" deck w 3 blades, and I've had one spindle partially strip the splines between the spindle and the pulley, and that was because the through bolt wasn't tightened down enough and had come loose.
Tightened down with impact, spun just fine for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
I tightened my spindle with a 1/2" impact... obviously not well enough.

Was your spindle bolt still tight when you disassembled it? Could the bolt be missing a washer and/or spacer to hold everything tight?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was no washer or spacer when originally disassembled. Still tight, but that shouldn't matter as the splines are a couple of inches. I'll take it apart tomorrow and get pics

1 - 6 of 6 Posts