My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
exactly what the title of the post says. what should i get the Husqvarna YTH2454 or the Craftsman GTs 5000

im going to be buying a tractor next week. it was going to be this week but i heard through the grape vine that sears is having a sale so im going to wait.

as for what im going to be using the tractor for. ill be cutting grass of course (about a 1/2 acre) and blowing snow (my driveway is 175 feet long. 100 feet is a car and a half wide and the rest 3 cars wide) using the craftsman (bercomac) 44" blower. my driveway is flat so i dont have any slope to worry about. and the lawn is feirly flat as well.

i really like the husqvarna, but the craftsman (built by the same company) has some better options (engine, trans, tires) and im not too sure which one to go for. get the husqvarna which im sure is good enough for what i need it for, or pay a bit more and get the better craftsman?

i like the idea of the ground engaging trans but havnt heard too much about it before this site. does the 2454 have one i know that a good way to tell is to look at the rear wheels but i cant find a good picture of one anywhere lol.

any help would be awsome

thanks

kyle

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Well, you're comparing a yard tractor to a garden tractor.

I'll throw you a curve and recommend you look at either the xls or gxls series with the Vanguard motor.

You don't want to seem to be a plowboy, so get a yard tractor with a commercial engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well thats all fine and dandy, however at sears you can only get the yth2242 or the yth2454 and the husky dealer by me isnt willing to work with me at all.

as it stands right now ill be getting the yth2454 husky at sears for $4300 and a handfull of change over the curb. and that comes with the soft triple bagger, 44" bercomac blower with electric lift, and rear weights.

there is no way in **** that the husky dealer will match that on that tractor. besides the gxls is $3500 US.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a 2008 YTH2454 and a 2005 GT5000, I love them both. I have not looked at the newer GT's but I'm sure they are considerably different than mine.

Cutting grass with the YT is very comfortable, the GT is my work horse. The Husq will handle some light, occasional work where the Crafts will handle a little more abuse.

if you can afford it your better off buying more than you need at the time. I don't know about your Husq dealer but the one here beats or matches the box stores, you get MUCH better service after the sale. I just bought blades for my GT at the Husq dealer, paid half what I would have anywhere else. the blades were not AYP but I am very happy with them (Oregon brand, the only chains I use on my saws) and they are made in the US.

don't get fooled into the new LGT, it's a YTH2454 with rear hubs and bigger tires, same trans and all.

If it's the cash that is going to be a primary factor, if I were doing it over again I would have gotten a slightly smaller LS, the 2042LS is the same price and is built a little stronger. If i didn't have either of the ones I have and since I only owe 2 more truck payments I would go for the 2354gxls.

I might sell em both and get one anyway lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
BTW is the GT5000 a six speed or hydro? I saw some where that it is listed as a hydro but actually has the 6 speed.

If it has the 6 speed I would definitely go with it (other than the way they look now, looks like a rabid cartoon rabbit with no ears to me).

a manual trans is going to last a lot longer than the K46 in the Husq (just my opinion).

with my hilly, obstacle filled yard the GT is a pain to cut with because I need to vary my speed constantly, this is where the pedal operated hydro shines

and like your name implies, I prefer the orange paint myself. :trink39:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think cub is about the only tractor that i havnt looked at. not because i dont like them or have heard bad things but the only dealer around me is the home depot. again nothing wrong with the home depot but my mom works for sears and is going to be getting it for us. this is the just one of the reasons im going with husky or craftsman.

as for the new gt it is hydro i sat on one today and everything looks and feels the same as the husky yth2454 but it has the bigger wheels (wich im assumeing are conected to a bigger trans) and the kohler courage v-twin insted of the briggs intek.

so my other question is which is the better motor the kohler or the briggs?

·
Registered
348 Posts
really neither, both designs have had their share of problems. Any engine should give good service if you keep it serviced.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It's simple

YTH = yard tractor hydrostatic

GT = Garden Tractor

If you want to mow the yard and pull a cart, buy the YTH,

if you want to do anything more than that, buy a GT.

·
Super Moderator
31,814 Posts
so my other question is which is the better motor the kohler or the briggs?
Hard to say what is better... you know I like Kohlers better, but Im judging it on past engines..

We picked up a 2454 for my Moms place a few years ago. I realy like mowing with it. Its pretty comfy, and has good power. I was a little disapointed in that I develeped a starting problem after less then 10 hours though with the Briggs. At first it would start not turning over when warm. Make a 1/4 turn, then lock, like it was hydro locking. Well as time went on, it did it cold also. With reserch it turned out to be a valve adjustment issue, but still... I dont see how the engine should have made it out with valve adjustment THAT far out that it caused issues within 10 hours of running!!!

That being said, now that I did the adjustment,[and its pretty easy to do] it DOES run real sweet. Good power, and nice a quite. If you DO get one, I would recomend doing that valve adjustment at the first oil change though. Just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Many here will tell you to buy one level up from what you think you need. It is one of the best tidbits of advice I have read on this site and is given by those who have "been there, done that". You won't regret having a bit more tractor than you think you need. :goodl:

·
Registered
519 Posts
What I always try to do is to get something more than I need right now. Because there will always come a time when you need that extra. So I would get the GT5000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts