My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't start, but makes clicking sound. Battery is fine and all cables are good. Owner manual troubleshooting suggests either solenoid or starter. I see the solenoid in the parts diagram but can't find any starter! Starter also shows up in wiring diagram. Am I just showing off my mechanical ignorance?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can't find it on the engine, or in the parts manual? Either way, I'd put my money on the solenoid. I've replaced two on my YTH18542.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...yes, I also suspect the solenoid which I ordered. But I can't find the starter in the manual and am embarrassed to admit don't know where to look on the engine!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I just discovered at Jacks Small Engine parts that the solenoid is listed as a "starter/solenoid". Problem solved.

·
Registered
943 Posts
So, I just discovered at Jacks Small Engine parts that the solenoid is listed as a "starter/solenoid". Problem solved.

What is the model number of the engine?

·
Registered
187 Posts
From the battery, the positive cable will go directly to the solenoid. There will be another battery cable sized cable on the solenoid (plus some smaller ones). That larger cable will go directly to the starter.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Facing tractor, starter is on the left side towards the back of the engine and should have a solid red wire going from the starter to the solenoid above. Should come off with 2 bolts or nuts depending on model. I would test the starter prior to removal though just to be sure it is bad. Could also be the solenoid or a safety switch, in fact it is far more likely that one of those failed before the starter would. Speaking of which did you make sure your PTO switch is not engaged? The engine won't even attempt to turn over if the PTO switch is engaged or if the safety interlocks are not satisfied (I.E. seat switch or clutch/brake pedal switch.) The tractor will simply make a clicking noise when you turn the key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. Even I should be able to track down the starter, if the new solenoid doesn't do the trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts