My Tractor Forum banner
3281 - 3300 of 3311 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,281 ·
Pics attached. The Husqvarna part number is 575 63 22-01. The break was at the spot where the shaft meets the sprocket. It's almost a totally clean break, but at close look, it's not.

As far as overreacting, I'll agree that this part is currently available, and it's far more likely than not that this can be repaired, and I can resume using my Rider. But no one can deny that parts will become harder to find, and there will come a point where serviceability won't be feasible. We're not there yet. But that's where we're going. My land has equipment needs that aren't easily filled by equipment in the price range of the R322T AWD. IMHO, Husqvarna exiting the US market with these machines leaves a gaping hole in the sloped mower market, and really puts owners who need this type of machine in a tough spot when replacement is needed. That's why I'm thinking about it now. I want a game plan in place for when the inevitable happens.

Just like with a vehicle... the best time to research and plan for a new car is when you still don't need one.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,976 Posts
Just like with a vehicle... the best time to research and plan for a new car is when you still don't need one.
Yup, research is good. I do remember the research that you put into buying the R322T in the first place. You just have to keep in mind that things change and research only applies to the existing, not to what may or may not be available in the future. Unless you plan on replacing your mower in the next few months, any research may be just a practice exercise.

If someone researching the R322T had asked you three years ago if you would recommend it with the information that was available to you at the time, how would you have answered? How would you answer the same question if asked today?

I suspect that the two answers would be quite different.

Note that I am not saying anything negative about the R322T. I have followed this thread since the first post and, other than the normal growing pains of a new type of mower (the transmission issue) and the typical attrition of parts due to normal wear, it appears to be a unit with an expected service life of 20 years or more. It's just a shame that when yours is 16 years old, the OEM parts supply is going to begin to dry up. Unfortunately, that appears to be the norm today in our throw away world, and no amount of research is going to uncover that.

Research is valid until the warranty period is up. After that, it's a crap shoot that relies more on personal experience and skills.

Reactions: SwedishRider

·
Registered
2013 Husqvarna R322T, JD 990, Poulan Pro
87 Posts
That weld on the end of the shaft looks suspicious like there was little or no penetration. I’d think it can be easily welded again with better penetration and a filet around the perimeter. Lots of parts on the mower could be repaired w/o replacement parts. The engine is a B&S, the transmissions are Tough Torq, the pulleys mostly look like industry standard parts with the exception of those on the engine. The castings the engine is bolted to looks like a lifetime product and many bushings, seals, and bearings must be available outside of Husqvarna’s supply chain.
Don’t get me wrong, I wish they were still being sold here but I think we can keep these going a long time.
Odd how I can still buy lots of parts for my 1959 BMW motorcycle from the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
17,362 Posts
Here's a video of a CC steering wheel unit mowing a relatively steep slope. Not sure what to make of it, but I'm curious your thoughts. Seems to be the closest thing I can find that's available and supported in the States for sloped mowing.

Please let me know your thoughts!
I'll be adding a S series SX54 or 48 Z force in the Near future But supposedly this ZTR Can also Handle Hills and what I have seen it doesn't do so Bad Walker Model B Lawn Mowers and it a out front deck.
This is also available In the US AS-Motor AS 940 Sherpa XL (36") Ride-On Mower Other then That there is a Deere X700 series

Husqvarna tends to support Models for 7 years after Production has ended But many of the Parts for You rider are Being used On other 300 series sold In Europe so It could be Longer then the Standard 7 years weather or Not US dealer will be able to order European Parts is another story Usually they Cannot But there are a select few Distributors that actually can order European Husqvarna Parts. Of which You will see a up-charge on the Part compared to what you would Normally pay in North America for Parts (y)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Parts prices may already be escalating as the blade brake which once listed at $14.95 is now $60.95. I just ordered it as mine broke and I need it’s keeper function. I have removed the associated spring.
(Husqvarna 580752201 Brake Assembly) It’s a part that looks like $20 should buy it.
fc390bbc-11e1-4db8-8676-1a213ec15135_1.5357505772c41cee864bef50ad28f198.jpeg

·
Rider on the Storm
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,286 ·
Parts prices may already be escalating as the blade brake which once listed at $14.95 is now $60.95. I just ordered it as mine broke and I need it’s keeper function. I have removed the associated spring.
(Husqvarna 580752201 Brake Assembly) It’s a part that looks like $20 should buy it.
In fairness, everything is going up in price right now. But yes, as time goes on, parts for these Riders will definitely go up in price as availability goes down. The steering shaft I ordered is about $120 through the dealer (and he checked the Husqvarna warehouse for availability before ordering). I'm lucky they had one on the shelf there, otherwise this would be an even more difficult situation (and probably more costly).

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hello fellow Rider owners,

It's been a while since I've actively posted, but I thought I'd let you know of a pretty major issue with my Rider. After about 300 hours of use (9 years), the steering wheel shaft literally snapped where the shaft meets the sprocket that controls the cable mechanism for steering. It was a clean break- and a really awkward sensation! One moment, I was turning as normal, and the next I felt a pop, and nothing... no way to steer the machine.

I got in touch with my dealer, who has the part on order. It appears to be just a few days away. But that said... this machine has been discontinued in the states. I was told the expectation is that parts should be available through 2029, but from my perspective, there's really no way to know if that will hold up or not.

It's got me thinking about "what if" I have to replace this machine to perform my normal yard tasks. The dealer said they've been told the commercial Riders will be available at some point here in the US, but expect prices to be in the $15K-25K range. 😮

Anyway, I'll let everyone know how this plays out. Dealer said they've never seen this happen before. Ironically, they've replaced loads of belts, chains, etc, and my machine has needed NONE of that. It still has the original belts, tires, etc. It's been pretty close to flawless until now.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.
Swedish,

Thanks for the info, and I’m glad you mentioned that particular Cub as I was searching it out on-line myself as a possible replacement.

My rider has not made it to the shop yet, my friend is pretty backed up due to rain (does a lot of lawns), and I’m sure its probably just a carb issue. I am upset that this machine is having this kind of issue at 4 years, but I guess Briggs really owns that issue. The frame and all Husqvarna components are flawless, and my front trans is even on the “drift list” lol. Hearing the warning on the parts supply though, makes me think harder.

When I got a rider I happily ditched push mowing forever. As you all know the front deck configuration on the rider can reach almost everywhere. I’ve also mowed through pretty deep and soft spongy terrain, the AWD was a big sell for me, as was the deck cleaning position, I’m 61. I do wonder about a zero turn on some of my areas as well.

I guess I’ll see what it takes to get rid of this backfire and go from there.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Longtime lurker here, I have been watching this thread since about the beginning. On several occasions I was tempted to buy one, but I could never see one in person and wasn't willing to take a chance on it sight unseen.

A couple of years ago I looked at the Cub. I got zero help from the dealer, even when I was closely inspecting it and even sitting on it. The dealer has some pretty bad Yelp reviews, so I figured if this was the support I got before they had my money, it probably wouldn't improve after they already had it.

It is perhaps heavier duty than the R322, but it certainly looked a lot less well designed. I was not able to find any long term reviews.

·
Rider on the Storm
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,289 ·
A couple of years ago I looked at the Cub. I got zero help from the dealer, even when I was closely inspecting it and even sitting on it. The dealer has some pretty bad Yelp reviews, so I figured if this was the support I got before they had my money, it probably wouldn't improve after they already had it.

It is perhaps heavier duty than the R322, but it certainly looked a lot less well designed. I was not able to find any long term reviews.
I'm in a different camp. The Cub dealer I visited was VERY helpful, and has a great reputation in the area. I wasn't able to sit on one because they are thin on inventory (as is the case with pretty much everything right now). But they knew their product, and they were more than willing to demo units once they get them in stock. Realistically, that looks to be very late in the mowing season this year, or early next season.

I personally was impressed with the design of the steering wheel ZTR Cub. It solves the hill issue that so many have to struggle with in the case of a traditional ZTR. That design is one of only a couple of options that is rated by the manufacturer for 20 degree hills (and the CC 972SD is rated to mow horizontally up to 25 degrees!). I saw a 972 at the dealer- it's massive!!! I couldn't fit that in the door of my shed, and it's WAY too expensive for what I'm looking to spend. But what a monster of a machine!

·
Rider on the Storm
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,290 ·
If someone researching the R322T had asked you three years ago if you would recommend it with the information that was available to you at the time, how would you have answered? How would you answer the same question if asked today?

I suspect that the two answers would be quite different.
After pondering this for a bit, you are spot on Tudor. If this machine was still sold and supported by Husqvarna, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Up until now, it has been an excellent choice for my needs. But as you implied, knowing it's discontinued, I wouldn't buy or recommend it. It's abandoned tech at this point, and the inevitable will happen.

It's a shame really. Husqvarna has built a great, well-designed product that some of us have come to depend on, and there really isn't anything in the US market that truly replaces it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If it hadn't had the significant issue with the transaxles leaking, I probably would have bought one. I just couldn't decide if I wanted the combi or the side discharge. I really like the idea of the machine. I don't normally need the dealer, but having good dealer support is also important.

Maybe in five years there will be a different/better answer that is reasonably priced, or maybe I'll be more willing to pay more. I like having/using well designed and built tools

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
It is only the North American market they mostly abandoned. Husqvarna has always had a pretty strong following in the UK/EU so that is a potential source for parts.

Just look at their current lineup in the UK.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Husqvarna exiting the US market with these machines leaves a gaping hole in the sloped mower market,
Don't laugh, but their AWD robotic mower can fill at least some of the sloped mower market. Others like the Ventrac will fill a small segment where price is not a deterrent.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ok, so some good news. I got antsy this afternoon, so I watched a few more YouTube videos on the Nikki 2 barrel. I pulled the plate off of the top to expose all of those channels. I also removed the solenoid from the float chamber. I shot multiple blasts of carb/choke cleaner in the channels and holes on the top, and blasted the float bowel pretty good as well. I could watch the solenoid operate outside the carb and it seemed to be in pretty good shape.

After reassembly, I took about a 20 min ”rider” around the yard. (pretty good pun huh? 😂) Once it warmed up I was again able to “drop the deck” on it and it would throttle up, chirp the belt and start running. Know that I don’t normally do this, I always ease the deck down. I have been using that to test the engine, and, before this it would stall, sometimes even when easing the deck down. So far, not even a slight sputter.

I won’t be able to mow until later in the week, that will be the true test of if is fixed. I’ll report back then.

Before cleaning.
80BE74B1-F898-4A53-A0B4-56545FBA60C9.jpeg

Sitting in “soggy bottom”, lol. Right at that first maple is about 20 degrees. To the left of the in ground pool in the distance you’ll see an incline that’s probably close to 30 degrees, part of that is mine.

083C3792-027C-4200-BDBD-1477701EE2AA.jpeg

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just mowed with my new 103 Combi deck and I have some comparisons:
The Combi mowed my large lawn nearly as fast as the 6” wider 48”. It is more nimble, lighter and able to get to places my 48” deck can’t. (2 hours for the 48” and 2 1/4 hours for the 42” Combi)
It does mow a bit smoother too. Both deck comparisons were consecutive mowings both decks were mulching and both with new blades. For my 48” deck I had just added a Husqvarna mulching kit for my prior mowing.
The Combi deck is much easier to lift, runs quieter, follows the contours better especially when transitions occur like rises near the driveway.
With the third blade in front of the other two, it cuts much closer to objects in front. The 48” seems to grt closer to the sides of my planters as the narrower Combi lets the rear wheels touch.
The Combi had a lot less stuck on clippings. Here is a picture:
IMG_0798.jpeg
It also cleaned out much easier. I used a hose since the bearings are well sealed. No pressure washer though.
My conclusion- this is a nicer, easier deck to mow with and you can complete the job in about the same time especially if you consider that the cleanup time is less for the Combi. For the time being I’ll keep both decks but if I had to choose I’d keep the Combi deck.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just mowed with my new 103 Combi deck and I have some comparisons:
The Combi mowed my large lawn nearly as fast as the 6” wider 48”. It is more nimble, lighter and able to get to places my 48” deck can’t. (2 hours for the 48” and 2 1/4 hours for the 42” Combi)
It does mow a bit smoother too. Both deck comparisons were consecutive mowings both decks were mulching and both with new blades. For my 48” deck I had just added a Husqvarna mulching kit for my prior mowing.
The Combi deck is much easier to lift, runs quieter, follows the contours better especially when transitions occur like rises near the driveway.
With the third blade in front of the other two, it cuts much closer to objects in front. The 48” seems to grt closer to the sides of my planters as the narrower Combi lets the rear wheels touch.
The Combi had a lot less stuck on clippings. Here is a picture:
View attachment 2513015
It also cleaned out much easier. I used a hose since the bearings are well sealed. No pressure washer though.
My conclusion- this is a nicer, easier deck to mow with and you can complete the job in about the same time especially if you consider that the cleanup time is less for the Combi. For the time being I’ll keep both decks but if I had to choose I’d keep the Combi deck.
Are those mulching blades on it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is a dedicated mulching deck and those are the blades that came on it. In answer to your question I’d say yes. The mulching blades supplied for my 48” deck are similiar but much flatter.

3281 - 3300 of 3311 Posts