My Tractor Forum banner
3261 - 3280 of 3311 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Some additional pictures here. You can see where the plastic manifold and o ring were failing. I left it finger tightened at this point, want to find out if that metal “baffle” piece is necessary.

2FFBAD27-A901-4C01-9944-1DB023B67269.jpeg BCBFE2F2-4F77-417A-9BC1-219E7F4D03BD.jpeg 901D02DA-AA73-4554-BD58-60AC7AE4803E.jpeg 987F77AA-1BBE-4383-8E13-346BDD476565.jpeg

The replacement manifold came with a plastic spacer to add back what is lost from the old manifold.

C930AA63-8512-4DDB-860E-5B77552FA132.jpeg

Only finger tight.

98FA552C-40DF-4FAE-97AA-E29B23C7DB7F.jpeg

·
Registered
405 Posts
Think of the metal baffle in the terms of a restrictor plate as used by NASCAR on super speedways.

Rex
Rex,

Thanks!! Oh, ok I remember cars leaving the track, vertically! I don't think there is a danger of this rider "taking flight" at 6.5 mph. Do you know, can I run without it? It it an actual horsepower restriction?

Mark

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well, the rocker arm adjustment didn’t help. I put a new fuel filter on tonight, no help. It’s headed for a repair shop as soon as I can find one and get it there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If anybody is in the market for one of these riders, I noticed a 2015 model with 5.5 hours is up for sale in Greenville, SC. $3250
I just paid the same amount for a rider with 114 hours. If I remember correctly, weren't some people having issues with transmissions failing in the 2015 models?

·
Registered
2013 Husqvarna R322T, JD 990, Poulan Pro
87 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well, the rocker arm adjustment didn’t help. I put a new fuel filter on tonight, no help. It’s headed for a repair shop as soon as I can find one and get it there.
I watched several videos on line about this Nikki carb, and the solenoid valve on the bottom of it. When I turned the mower on, I did not hear it clicking, opening. I tapped it a few times with the back of a scredriver and I think it released. I could cycle the power on and off and hear it operating. It ran much more like normal lafter that, but still popped and backfired a little. Still sending it to a shop.

·
Rider on the Storm
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,274 ·
Hello fellow Rider owners,

It's been a while since I've actively posted, but I thought I'd let you know of a pretty major issue with my Rider. After about 300 hours of use (9 years), the steering wheel shaft literally snapped where the shaft meets the sprocket that controls the cable mechanism for steering. It was a clean break- and a really awkward sensation! One moment, I was turning as normal, and the next I felt a pop, and nothing... no way to steer the machine.

I got in touch with my dealer, who has the part on order. It appears to be just a few days away. But that said... this machine has been discontinued in the states. I was told the expectation is that parts should be available through 2029, but from my perspective, there's really no way to know if that will hold up or not.

It's got me thinking about "what if" I have to replace this machine to perform my normal yard tasks. The dealer said they've been told the commercial Riders will be available at some point here in the US, but expect prices to be in the $15K-25K range. 😮

Anyway, I'll let everyone know how this plays out. Dealer said they've never seen this happen before. Ironically, they've replaced loads of belts, chains, etc, and my machine has needed NONE of that. It still has the original belts, tires, etc. It's been pretty close to flawless until now.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.

·
Registered
2013 Husqvarna R322T, JD 990, Poulan Pro
87 Posts
While we wait for news from SwedishRider and Allergic let me post up my news. I have a 2013 rider with 80 hours, a 48” deck with a mulching kit added recently, a snowblower, and a snow blade I modified. Now I have added ........ A 103 Combi deck! I heard about the deck as a NOS product from a poster here and got in touch with the dealer who is about 3 hours away. I’ve installed it and plan to do my next mowing to see how it compares to my plugged 48”. Being able to mow up to the deck on both sides has made the 48” much more useful and cut down on hand mowing with a push mower in some tight areas around the house. It does take a lot of cleaning after a cutting though. The new deck is 6” narrower so it may extend the mowing time enough to make it less desirable.
I’ve looked the new deck over and it seems to be constructed with better spindles that are sealed w/o grease fittings, and probably lots easier to hose off after mowing. Both look rugged with similar reinforcement around their edges. I hope the Combi collects less grass slime and cleans better due to having been designed to be a mulcher.
IMG_0787.jpeg IMG_0788.jpeg IMG_0790.jpeg IMG_0791.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
17,362 Posts
Hello fellow Rider owners,

It's been a while since I've actively posted, but I thought I'd let you know of a pretty major issue with my Rider. After about 300 hours of use (9 years), the steering wheel shaft literally snapped where the shaft meets the sprocket that controls the cable mechanism for steering. It was a clean break- and a really awkward sensation! One moment, I was turning as normal, and the next I felt a pop, and nothing... no way to steer the machine.

I got in touch with my dealer, who has the part on order. It appears to be just a few days away. But that said... this machine has been discontinued in the states. I was told the expectation is that parts should be available through 2029, but from my perspective, there's really no way to know if that will hold up or not.

It's got me thinking about "what if" I have to replace this machine to perform my normal yard tasks. The dealer said they've been told the commercial Riders will be available at some point here in the US, but expect prices to be in the $15K-25K range. 😮

Anyway, I'll let everyone know how this plays out. Dealer said they've never seen this happen before. Ironically, they've replaced loads of belts, chains, etc, and my machine has needed NONE of that. It still has the original belts, tires, etc. It's been pretty close to flawless until now.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.
Maybe consider a Hop across the Northern Boarder and consider one of theses Petrol Front mowers | STIGA There Only sold In Canada for North America It a Shame that it's not sold Here in the States Only time it was sold here was Under the Bolens Name In the early to mid 1980's Service could be a Issue But Parts wouldn't But there a very well made articulating rider (y)

·
Rider on the Storm
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,277 ·
Maybe consider a Hop across the Northern Boarder and consider one of theses Petrol Front mowers | STIGA There Only sold In Canada for North America It a Shame that it's not sold Here in the States Only time it was sold here was Under the Bolens Name In the early to mid 1980's Service could be a Issue But Parts wouldn't But there a very well made articulating rider (y)
Thanks Sergeant. It is a shame it's not sold in the States. I've called MANY lawn care equipment dealers, and there seems to be only two realistic options to replace my Rider for use on 20 degree angled land (~35% slope). Cub Cadet makes a zero turn that has a steering wheel for front control that is rated for 20 degrees. It seems to be the closest thing to my Rider that's available here in the US. Or a commercial walk-behind (which oddly claims to be rated for 15 degree slopes). I'd need either or both demo'd here to make sure it fits the bill before I drop the kind of money that these machines would require.

Other than that, there is NOTHING in the market that can replace what these Riders can do (at least that I could find). I'm really bummed that Husqvarna discontinued these here, and I hope they reconsider at some point. Even if I were to buy one on the secondary market, the writing's on the wall with respect to service and parts availability in the long run. Yes, it may still be years off, but it will end at some point.

I'm hoping this unit can be fixed, and I still have years of good service left in it. But that still doesn't answer the question of what to use to mow 20 degree slopes once my Rider is no longer available. :(

·
Rider on the Storm
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,278 ·
Here's a video of a CC steering wheel unit mowing a relatively steep slope. Not sure what to make of it, but I'm curious your thoughts. Seems to be the closest thing I can find that's available and supported in the States for sloped mowing.

Please let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
22 Posts
@SwedishRider
I think you're over reacting. Yeah, the steering shaft break is an odd happening (I'd like to see pics) but I'll wager that none of us who own an R322T, including yours after repair, will experience the same failure.
Do your maintenance/upkeep and you'll probably quadruple the hours you have now.

Rex

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
(I'd like to see pics)
Same here. I would think it could be welded, perhaps with an internal sleeve to add strength. At least the pic might give us something to watch out for. I've not examined mine closely but I know that at the height I have mine raised to, the shaft does not sit in the lower pillow block bearing. Maybe that is a factor?

3261 - 3280 of 3311 Posts