My Tractor Forum banner

3001 - 3006 of 3006 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found a late 90's 155 with 16hp Briggs in rough shape. My question is is it possible to make it 4wd and since this would require purchase of a front hydrostatic is there an upgraded set that would be stronger/ faster? No need to tell me about investment and effort to make the changes. Going from 16" to 18" tires would change mph .7 (6.2mph) I feel that is plenty but haven't factored in blade speed for quality of cut.
Transaxle upgrade would be for accessory purposes. Tiller, gravel driveway grading and snow blowing.
I have read on back unit but not see anything for the front.

·
Senior MTF Member
1,468 Posts
I had my front belt destroyed. After taking it off I found that my belt brake was broken. This is the third belt brake that. I have replaced.
When the belt brake is broken the belt will fall off the pulley and ride on the side of the pulley and won’t last long after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you sure that it was the broken belt brake causing the belt to break and not a broken belt that caused the belt brake to get broken? (There's a tongue twister)
I ask this because my rider doesn't have the belt brake and it stays in the pulley as long as the belt is in the groove when the spring tensioner handle is put in place.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I had to take the brake actuator spring off because it would screech something awful when a mowed through a swale. It would have just been a matter of time before it broke as it has for many folks. I don't think that brake will actually stop the blades much faster than without.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have the R322TX which does not come with the counterweight that slips over the rear bumper.
. . .
All that said, I've reviewed my security camera footage and could not see any significant loss of traction while plowing snow. With the blade up however, the steering is less responsive. I've noticed the same thing with the mower deck when on a steep grade. IMHO, the counterweight should not be optional.
I found out today how much the counterweight is needed when I drove a little too far over the edge. The front tires didn't drop until I lifted the blade but then the raised blade settled back down into the snow so the front wheels alone could not climb back up and the back wheels were useless.

I went and got a shovel to daylight the blade but by then the front tires were pretty well rutted in and with the blade back up in the air, the rear was too light. It is so light in fact that I can lift it with one hand.

My neighbor happened by in his UTV and stopped to see what I was up to. I asked him to stand on the bumper so the rear wheels would have the needed traction and that got me out.

I guess I will have to add some counterweight. That or get the wife to stand on the bumper. Never mind... what was I thinking? I'd rather buy the counterweight than pay the price of asking the wife.

3001 - 3006 of 3006 Posts