My Tractor Forum banner

Husqvarna Rider 322T AWD

902K views 4K replies 165 participants last post by  LLigetfa 
#1 ·
Well, here it is! It finally arrived and went on its maiden voyage. It gave a really smooth cut and had plenty of power to spare!! :bananapow

It's an awesome machine. I think it's too early to give it a fair review, but so far, I'm very pleased with it's performance, and I'm wondering how I would have mowed some of the tight, difficult, or sloping areas that were a breeze with this AWD Swedish rider. The deck service position is also awesome! Very easy to flip it up and hose it down after mowing the grass. Makes blade inspection/servicing a breeze as well. It has lots of power, didn't slip or lose traction once, and really bit down and climbed my hills without complaining.

Once I've had it a while I'll post a full review, but for now I thought I'd share some pics. Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome!

I thought you were looking at a GT, when did you change your mind? I saw these in a Husqvarna catalog and frankly I thought they were some neat. If I may, how much did she run you?

Very nice machine, I love the attatchments available for them.

#3 ·
I originally wanted the GTH24V52LS, but it kept getting backordered and appeared that I would never get it. Ironically, dealer found one at another dealership that could be transfered just as I changed my order to the AWD Swedish Rider. I'm glad I got this Rider though... it's a great machine.

Final price was $4950 + tax including the Combi 103 deck upgrade. List price for the stock R322T AWD Rider with the standard 48" side discharge deck is $5200. Not cheap by any means, but after using it yesterday, I'm glad I bought it. It's fun to drive and as you said, the attachments make it a really versatile machine. I'm hoping for many years of problem free service. First service visit for this model is at 8 hours- all fluids must be changed and synchronization of front and rear wheels must be verified for warranty purposes. It won't take too long to get to that usage mark... I would have been out there longer but I think my wife was getting somewhat annoyed that I was trying to find places to mow.. ;):ROF

#5 · (Edited)
I didn't get to test it at my property, but the dealer had some steep hills that mimic mine, and so I tested it there. It was very impressive. I also tested a JD x500 again, as it's in the same general price ballpark and has a diff. locking rear end. It was impressive as well, but the JD dealers didn't want to compete against the R322T's price even though it's late in the mowing season. I'm glad I bought this Rider anyway... now that I've used it in my yard, it has many clear advantages over the x500 with regards to nimble operation and AWD.

As far as handling, it basically steers like a forklift. The wheels in the front remain fixed, and the rears move to steer the unit. It makes it very nimble without sacrificing power. It didn't take long to get used to... but in all fairness I was a forklift driver for quite a few years in my younger days, so that probably didn't hurt.. ;)

#6 ·
Well you certainly did your homework before purchase. I noticed that you mention a full fluid change .. have you thought about putting synthetic fluid in the tranny? Don't know whats in there or if these things need a break-in period .. thought I mention it.

Anyway hope you have many years of safe and trouble free mowing.

#11 ·
I noticed that you mention a full fluid change .. have you thought about putting synthetic fluid in the tranny? Don't know whats in there or if these things need a break-in period .. thought I mention it.
I checked the manual:
Rider 322T AWD:
Fill if necessary with oil Synthetic 10W/50
The oil and filter should be changed by an authorised service representative, as described in the Workshop Manual.
So synthetic it is! :thThumbsU

#7 ·
Jim,
The height of front wheels of the deck does not appear to be adjustible. Is the deck fully floating then?

It appears you have significant overlap between blades there. I'll bet that does leave one fine cut. And as you mention, that has to be the easiest to clean deck I've ever seen.

I wonder why they put the fuel tank on the forward section, instead of over or around the engine?

#8 ·
Jim,
The height of front wheels of the deck does not appear to be adjustible. Is the deck fully floating then?
Yes it is! The large handle with the button on top that I posted a pic of engages the deck and blades. There are 10 height settings on the smaller lever, and the large lever is used to lower the deck. Once lowered, the blades automatically engage and begin to spin. The handle will literally bob up and down depending on the ground... it will float as needed to keep contact with the ground. If there is a rock or other object, I can pick up the handle to raise and disengage the blades, then just lower it to be back to cutting the lawn. Very good design!

It appears you have significant overlap between blades there. I'll bet that does leave one fine cut. And as you mention, that has to be the easiest to clean deck I've ever seen.
The blades to overlap, and the deck is REALLY simple to clean. There are only a couple of steps to putting the deck in the service position. It takes all of 30 seconds really, and then once hosed off, 30 seconds to put back in service. That should make attachment switching quick and painless as well.

I wonder why they put the fuel tank on the forward section, instead of over or around the engine?
No idea on that one. It's not in the way where it is actually, and it's easy to see if the machine is low on fuel. It holds about 3.5 gallons of fuel.

#10 ·
:thanku:
Deck is the Combi 103, which is 103 centimeters (about 41"). The R322T can take 3 decks: standard 48" side discharge, Combi 103, and Combi 112. The Combi decks have the removable BioClip mulch plug built into the design-they are primarily mulching decks with the option for rear discharge. I upgraded to the Combi 103 because I primarily mulch, it's small with no chute on the side so it's really nimble, and if I ever use rear discharge, I can buy the rear collector that is the Rider's version of a bagging system:

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/accessories/product-accessories/rider-accessories/sweeper-collector/

Plus the 48" side discharge deck shoots out the grass, making a mess on driveways and sidewalks, and would have required a mulching kit anyway.

#12 · (Edited)
Lucky you! I've been waiting for my 322T Rider, with 103 Combi deck, since May! The tractor arrived at the dealer mid July(!) after a long wait without the deck. Then Husqvarna said the deck would not show up until mid August. Here I sit still waiting. I'm getting rather annoyed at Husqvarna - and nothing seems to speed them up at all. Since their web site said all of this was available at the beginning of the year there is NO excuse for the huge delays. If there was anyone else who could match the rider in usability I'd be GONE from Husqvarna by now. It's a shame. I have a lot of hilly area that the Rider should work well on. I test rode the 220 at the dealership and was amazed how well it did on slopes and hills. Like you, I also wanted the Combi deck because I plan to pull a sweeper and the side discharge would not work for that. Also, the smaller the deck should do better swinging around tight spaces and it's less weight for the hilly areas. It really is unique mower - though pricey. Too bad Husqvarna is pathetic in getting product to a customer - money in hand. I'll probably spend another weekend grinding my bad knee down thanks to Husqvarna. Sigh.

#13 ·
Hmmm... that is odd. Dealer ordered my R322T AWD in early August and it came in with Combi 103 deck in less than a week's time (6 days I think). Another dealer locally has 2 of the 322T models in stock, ready for same day delivery. not sure why you are having difficulties... maybe dealer issues?? I don't think Husqvarna has issues with backorders on these... I had no problems getting mine.

#15 ·
I must say that thing is pretty neat looking!

#16 ·
:thanku: It sure does break with the traditional "tractor look" that the US market is most familiar with. Th appearance and style of the Riders wasn't an immediate hit with me at first, but it quickly grew on me and everyone who has seen it has commented that it looks pretty sweet! :thThumbsU

#23 ·
With someone sitting in the seat, I measured 30.5" from the floor of my garage to the top of the seat cushion. Not sure how that compares to the JD x-series, but given that there is no engine in front of you, visibility on the 322T is great!

#24 ·
Thank you, I think the seat height on a JD x300 is 43"

Same on x5 series and some are 51"

Seems like you can pass under branches easier on the rider and the centre of gravity is lower on the r322 also

The stance is narrower on the 322 than a JD riding mower

Found a dealership 43 miles south of me that has a r322t in stock!
Has the 43 side discharge (won't work for me ) but at least I can test it out there and maybe order the model with the 103 combi

Asked another dealer for a quote with the 103 combi and a quote with the 112 deck
They said they called husqvarna and answer was 103 or the 48" only
Combi 112 was not available
Think if I had my choice I'd take a 112 but the 103 will work

#25 ·
Asked another dealer for a quote with the 103 combi and a quote with the 112 deck
They said they called husqvarna and answer was 103 or the 48" only
Combi 112 was not available
Think if I had my choice I'd take a 112 but the 103 will work
That is true actually... I was interested in the Combi 112, but the dealer said that only the 48" side discharge and Combi 103 were available for sale in the US. Very strange as the sales literature specifically said that there was a 112cm deck for sale. In any event, the dealer is being truthful... I was told the same thing a few months ago when I bought mine.

By the way, the 322T with the Combi 103 is $150 more than the 322T with the 48" side discharge. You could get the 48" deck and order the mulching kit. Personally, I'd buy the Combi deck, but it depends on your needs. The 103 deck makes the Rider very nimble... I am very glad I got that and not the 48" width (which is even wider with the grass chute sticking out!).

#30 ·
so I have a question, the engine is bolted to the frame wich is stationary

the rear axle trans assy steers and pivots I think right?
Correct!
so how is the power transfered from the crank to the hydro trans?

belt?
Yes, it's actually belt transfer for both transmissions. Both are serviceable by a single gearbox that distributes 10W-50 oil to both front and rear transaxles. I have yet to lose traction on any of my hills... and they are pretty steep and have weird divots.

#32 ·
Drove to k&m in culpepper va and test drove the rider today!

Rides very nicely and of course excellent traction, felt stable on hills
Cut a bit of grass on some slopes.
It will take some getting used to the steering , both because it steers at the rear and because the cable setup transmits some shock back to the steering wheel.
Overall it was smooth and quiet I thought.

I did notice it took a bit to get started cold. Full choke and it cranked quite a bit before firing. I also noticed a small backfire when I turned the engine off warm with the throttle at idle
Annoying , I wish the us models had Kawasaki engines

#34 ·
It's part of the key setup for the ignition. You turn the key all the way to the right to fire over the engine, and then when engine is running, you turn it one click back to the light icon to turn on the lights (engine stays runnning). Then, to stop the engine and shut off the lights, you simply turn the key all the way to the left and take out the key if you wish to do so.

#35 ·
Very nice on the headlight setup! cool

ok question # 500 million !:sorry1:

I have always had JD equipment , and I am concrned about the warranty from Husqvarna and parts availability

do you have a copy of the warranty that cam with the rider?
i can find john deeres warranty stament on line easy and its basically bumper to bumper!

Husqvarna seems to not have a warranty statment anywhere?

any possibility of posting it?

#36 ·
I just looked through my paperwork, and I honestly can't find the warranty statement. I know Husqvarna warrants the tractor, excluding the engine and drivetrain. Briggs warrants the engine, and Tuff Torq warrants the transmissions (drivetrain). I had 2 minor claims: the clip that holds down the engine cover was partially broken, and the blade brake broke after a short time. Both were replaced on Husqvarna's dime with no question, and neither has given a problem since.

I'd contact the selling dealer, and contact the dealer you plan to use for service and get them to supply warranty paperwork. I have 2 dealers near me that provide great service... so I tend to bounce back and forth between them. Both are authorized Briggs and Tuff Torq repair centers, so they can honor the warranty of all components of the Rider. Parts availability for warranted items has not been an issue thus far. The full instruction booklet and schematic diagrams are freely available in PDF format on the Husqvarna website.

#37 ·
I still think its nuts to sell a $5200 rider and not provide a writen warranty
I will be calling the dealer tomorrow and asking him to fax me a copy of whatever statement HUsqvarna gives on warranty
this is to big a purchase to not check on this!
I am glad to hear your dealer has stood behind the product so far!

#38 ·
I am glad to hear your dealer has stood behind the product so far!
I'm pretty sure the Rider is covered for 3 years by the various manufacturers. I have done business at those dealers for years and have always been satisfied, so I wasn't as concerned with them honoring the warranty. But so far, I have been very satisfied with the product, the service (warranty or otherwise), and the servicing dealers. :thThumbsU

#40 ·
Looks like you are correct. Two years for Husqvarna Rider (excluding engine, including transmissions) vs 4 years for JD x500. You'll have to decide if it's worth the trade off. I'd still call your Husqvarna dealer(s) tomorrow and talk it over before you make a decision.

#44 ·
Same size. 16x6.50-8 = 165/60-8.

Width - 165 mm / 25.4 = 6.5"

Aspect ratio - 60% of tread width = 3.9"

Height - aspect ratio X 2 + rim diameter = 15.8"

Close enough for this cowboy.

#46 ·
Yes, it's plenty fast for me. I think the specs say it can do 5-6mph. I have steep hills and weird obstacles, so speed isn't my primary focus, but I havent' been disappointed with how fast it can go. A nice feature is when you release your foot from the accelerator, the machine automatically applies braking action and slows you right down. That's a great benefit when mowing or snow throwing on steep hills. :thThumbsU

#47 ·
So I went to the dealer and took a second test drive on the R322T. It was wet out and I climbed some hills , pausing and resuming to test traction, incredible! Even going downhill, pausing, and then reversing no slip no hesitation. A conventional riding mower even with diff lock and HDAP tires would have spun in reverse.
I did find the effort to raise and lower the deck significant, this one had the 48" deck, hoping the combi 103 might be lighter and easier to lift.

#48 ·
It is incredible on hills, even when the hills are wet! I have really rugged slopes to mow, and it just bites in and either climbs right up or descends without issue. There have been times when I've thought for sure it would start to spin tires... but it just bites in and keeps on trucking. Super impressive! :Orange_tr

The Riders I've used (dealer demos and my own) all had the Combi 103 deck, so unfortunately I can't compare the weight of the decks. I haven't had any problems with my Combi deck... it's been great, and I find the small size helpful when navigating weird obstacles and tight turns. It's also a quick change from mulching to rear discharge mode (tilt the deck up, unscrew three bolts and pull the mulching plate out- maybe a 5 minute job if you go slowly. ;) ). I'm glad I didn't go with the standard 48" deck... the Combi is really the way to go and that's what I would recommend if you end up buying the R322T AWD. :fing32: