My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
customer had the machine for a month. coil is completely dead.
the motor is so new that i have never even seen the coil design before (the grounding wire is on top). Initially I thought it was on upside down but then i saw that it was stamped "cylinder side" and "this side faces out".

I did all the coil checking tests...ground wire disconnected, check the air gap, new plug, new plug with the spark tester attached, removed the coil and cleaned it then put it back in.

The mower is less than a month old! the motor under the cover was sparkly clean!

i told the customer to return it to Home Depot if possible.

The mower is a Husqvarna HU775H
motor is a B/S 111P02-0116-F1

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is actually a prequel to this story.

Last month, this same customer actually gave me his old John Deere mower (JS63C) with caster wheels in the front. The plastic wheels had collaped and the rivets holding the recoil to the engine shroud were coming off so it was very rattly. I fixed it up with parts from my boneyard.

So last night when I left him a vm about the Husqvarna being dead in the water, I told him that I had actually fixed up the JD and it is now in perfect condition. I offered to just give it back to him (I had originally planned to sell it on CL). It will be interesting to see what he does.

Even though I will be out about $200 (what the JD will sell for on CL), I feel that in the end, everybody will win. My philosophy is being an honest and genuinely nice to people is profitable to the bottom line in the end. What do you all think?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I commend you Ben for offering it back , I have more work then ever and Im trying to quit fixing these things, but the crook that started up a shop 1 mile from me is cheating so many people that I cant keep up re-repairing his cobbled up junk, I plan on only staying open one day a week as soon as I can get caught up ,if that happens . My health is failing fast so need to give it up . keep up the good will and you'l need to quit you day job. ED

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with the guy.

He is happy to take the JD back and get Lowes to fix the basketcase Husqvarna. He offered to pay me for fixing the JD.

It worked out in the end. I got me a customer for life!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Ive had a few similar situations, but I offer the unit back at cost to repair, not "retail"...no reason to take a loss to get a customer that is already using you.

For instance if I had to repair the recoil, put on a blade, replace the wheels, etc...and it was worth 200 bucks...retail, and I had 45 invested in it, plus 2 hours of my life..id offer it back to him at about 85...keeps the lights on, you made money...and he got a bargain...as most would have just thrown parts at it and charged him out the nose.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
There. Proof that no good deed goes unpunished. Oh, wait.

Good. And you can sleep well at night.

My late aunt had a little Datsun with a sewing machine OHC motor. Her "friends" that ran the local repair shop removed the camshaft. {WHY???} I *think* fixing an oil leak that went through a quart of oil every 6 months.
Dunno if they broke it when they removed it or when they tightened the bearing caps, but it was in two pieces. Clean, fresh iron with NO oil or dirt in the break.
They claimed it was defective. These were guys in their 20's - 30's that supposedly knew what they were doing. They didn't work on OHC engines much, and likely tightened the caps starting at one end, working to the other. Snap.
She was in her 80's and drove to the Piggly-Wiggly or bridge club once a week. She paid them for a new cam and the labor to install it. How did they sleep at night? I dunno. I warned her when I found this mess in progress that they were not her 'friends', they were taking advantage of her, though she had been a customer for tens of years.

And your new life-long customer will tell friends that there is still one honest guy in town...
tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts