My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Husqvarna GTH24V52LS "chocolate milk" oil, hard starting, smoking and uneven running

Hi everyone,

After years of saving $$$ I have purchased a brand new Husqvarna GTH24V52LS (52' welded deck) and it had 0.2 hours on it and a rusted flywheel. The dealer told me that is not a problem. Upon starting it and it is really hard starting, it took minutes to start it and I was worried that it may kill the battery, and soon after within a minute it started smoking badly releasing huge smoke screen in front of the tractor all the time after running for a few seconds and sometimes the engine would stall or die. The engine is running uneven, like this: RRR-rrr-RRR-rrr-RRR-rrr-RRR-rrr... It is not a very heavy sound, but I wonder if it is normal for Kawasaki engine or any engine run like this that is somehow uneven. I only drove it max 6 minutes mowing the grass (now it has 0.3 hours on it) and then returned it to my garage and called the dealer to ask to exchange the tractor, but the dealer said they will come out to my yard and change the oil, replace the air filter and the problem should be gone. The dealer says they can not exchange the tractor, because... it is registered to my name... Is that a good excuse? Yet I am worried that a brand new tractor could have a damaged engine already or something else, such as the engine may need to be taken apart, maybe a blown head gasket or bad carburetor or carburetor may need a clean up etc. Please advise what could be wrong and whether I should just press to replace the tractor instead of changing the oil and filter. Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Update: I talked to Kawasaki engine supoort and they told me I got a 3 year old warranty on my engine, but they did not offer to replace it and to my surprise they also told me they have no troubleshooting or support and they refer me to the dealer where I bought it from. Now after Kawasaki I called Husqvarna and after talking to them they told me that an oil change and filter replacement (as the dealer offered to do) is not enough. Husqvarna told me honestly they think the engine needs to be taken apart and well inspected and cleaned as the problem may lie deeper than just an old change and they told me they are sure there is some problem with the engine that an oil change won't repair it. Then, I asked Husqvarna to verify my registration that the Husqvarna dealership (reseller) offered and promised to do on my behalf. Husqvarna verified and found NO registration on my behalf (no such serial number registered with them), which adds to my decision to either demand a replacement with another tractor or an outright return and get y money back deal, down to submitting a chargeback if the dealer refuses to cooperate. And Husqvarna representative told me while the exchange of the tractor is not covered under the warranty but the said I have a moral right to get the tractor exchanged by the reseller-dealer or get my money back and let the dealer pick it up. Husqvarna told me actually that would be the right thing to do in this case where no registration was done on my behalf and the new tractor has issues that were not checked and not repaired before selling it to me. I also am very disappointed by Kawasaki engine and by Kawasaki support and I will from now on avoid buying anything with Kawasaki engine in it. It is time to mow the grass and I can't wait for the dealer to take the engine apart and do the repairs which will take days or weeks. Yet the issue with that particular engine/tractor remains - the difficulty to start, the milky substance instead of oil and the smoking and uneven run of the engine. Would still love to find out the cause of all that.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Husqvarna GTH24V52LS "chocolate milk" oil, hard starting, smoking and uneven runn

Update: Since the dealership (Hilton's Power Equipment in Columbia, SC) did not register the tractor in my name as they earlier said they did (Husqvarna confirmed that no such tractor has been registered) I was able to negotiate an exchange with the dealership for another tractor. Originally the dealership in Columbia at Two Notch Road told me they won't exchange to another tractor since it's been registered to my name and (the milky substance in the oil and smoking, staling, starting issues and engine noises) can be repaired by a simple oil change. Apparently the tractor wasn't registered in my name. Husqvarna representatives strongly suggested to get another tractor, while Kawasaki engine support is lacking troubleshooting and tech. support but I assume Kawasaki engines are still good engines if are handled properly. Thus I can only rate Hilton's Power Equipment at 4 stars, because of the above. Kawasaki - same - 4 stars only. Husqvarna - 4 1/2 stars (first woman representative I talked to offered a translator for me clearly not liking my accent :) but the second male rep. having no issues understanding me was very nice and suggested to return the tractor to the dealership. Finally the lawnmower dealership in Columbia agreed to replace the tractor for me after being presented with all the facts. So, I can recommend them again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Husqvarna GTH24V52LS "chocolate milk" oil, hard starting, smoking and uneven runn

Glad everything worked out. Somtimes you have to flex some "consumer muscle" to get what you want. It doesnt seem right they wouldnt exchange it weither it was registered or not. I had minor issues with mine too when i first bought it. The engine was surging so they took it back and fixed it. A week later it started sputtering and missing. This time i took it back. Told the dealer that this is the second time its been here in 3 weeks since i bought it and the third time is a charm because if i have to bring it back again it will be accompanied by the reciept! Needless to say they dropped everything and took the tractor out back and started working on it while i waited for it. Everything seems to be fine now with it.....fingers crossed!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
943 Posts

Regardless of what the dealer told you Husqvarna has at least a 30 day money back return policy if you are not satisfied with your new tractor. They would have had to at the very least given you an exchange at your request within that 30 days or your money back. After that they have the option to repair,exchange,or return your money (usually in the form of a credit towards another machine) Now, that said the Kawasaki in that tractor does take a little longer to start, but the other issues you encountered should not have been there. Overall though Kawasaki is a good engine. Me personally, I went with the 27 HP Briggs in my GTH27V48LS partially because it would have taken another 3 weeks to get one and partially because I too did not care for the hard starting of the Kawasaki.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts