My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 3 acre lot with a pretty decent hill that I have been mowing with a John Deere Hydro165 38" deck. Takes me 4 hours to cut it so I really need an upgrade. :)

I found two used garden tractors on Craigslist. The first is a 2005 Husqvarna GTH2250 (50") deck with a 22 HP B&S engine. It has 380 hours on it.

The second one is a 2005 Craftsman GT5000 with a 26 HP Koyler 54" deck. Only has 260 hours.

I can't find any specs on either of these tractors. Does anyone know anything about these models? Know where I can find some specs? Is the Husqvarna rated for ground engagement attachments or mowing on hills? Known issues with either of these models?

I really like the new model of the GT5000 but not sure if the 2005 model is similar?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Both are made by the some company - mostly just different colors. I personally would stay away from the Kohler. They've had a lot of problems with blown head gaskets. My brother has a craftsman 5000 that he had to rebuild the motor at 500 hours. There are rumors that 2004-2006 B&S filters - mounted on the front have problems with dirt by-passing the filter leading to compression loss. Although my local dealer said he rarely has ever seen this problem. The 2005 GTH was as last model made with the heavier steel. Both models should have the larger/aggressive tires. I've also read that some users have had problems with the transmission overheating leading to loss of speed – often a result of flying debris breaking a plastic fan mounted on top – check periodically.

I have a GTH2654(B&S) and have moved 20-30 tons of dirt and rock (Jbjr, plowed snow (separeate blade mounted to JBjr), and have a 1 ton trailer to transport wood. I also found out recently that my model carb can drop the high speed jets - a $75 repair at the dealer - if it happens. I recently did a compression test, and yielded around 190 psi on both sides, with about 400 hours on it. While I don't mow grass (deck removed) with it, I certainly do heavy work. So far no problems with the transmission and overheating.

Talk to your local dealer and see what parts they stock. I can go almost anywhere to get parts for my B&S - I used to goto a John Deere dealer for all the parts.

On a personal note - Sears absolute stinks. I would never buy anthing from them - new or used.

Regardless of your decision
With three acres you need a garden tractor.
Change the oil, filter, and spark plugs.
Change the tranny fluid – remove the plug on the top of the transmission, use a siphon to extract as much as possible, and replace with a full synthetic 5w30

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I wanted to post a followup question. I took the Craftsman for a test drive and noticed something that concerned me enough to pass on it at least until I could do some additional research. It appeared to be very well maintained but the engine seemed to be running with an excessive vibration and when I started the pto to test the mower on wet grass the motor bogged down quite a bit. The grass wasn't tall just wet. I have mowed wet grass many times and don't recall my 12 hp motor ever bogging down as bad as it did. It did mow the grass just seemed to slowdown.

Could this be a sign of engine problems?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Some setups need to be engaged at a higher rpm than others when engaging the pto. slkpk

·
Registered
359 Posts
could be, perhaps you can get a compression test to see if there's blowby at higher idle.

Could also be just dirty gas fouling up the jets. Was there any smoke and what color?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could be, perhaps you can get a compression test to see if there's blowby at higher idle.

Could also be just dirty gas fouling up the jets. Was there any smoke and what color?
Thanks for the replies! There was no smoke, just seemed to bog down when I started the pto. I started it with the deck down and tractor not moving so I suppose it could have been that the rpms were not up but I am still a little leery. I may just buy a new one so that I have the full warranty.

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
Very nice choice. I am sure you will be very happy with it. Give us some pictures and a review! We love pictures here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts