My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor loaned his saw to his son in law and he thinks he got it too hot while sawing. Is that possible?
He said the guy was sawing with it,probly pushing it too hard and said it just stopped running. I have no idea about these kinds of things.

I told him first thing I'd check is to see if it's getting any fire to the plug,it's got gas in it but he said it maybe about 2 months old,so maybe fresh will help. ??

What do you guys think it could be?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I would check for Spark and then check to see if it is getting gas to the carb and then out of the carb to the cylinder.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
2 month old gas should be fine. My Poulan started on the 3rd pull with its tank of year old gas this weekend.

Change it if it makes you feel better.

Check for spark as SonnyT mentioned.

Any chance the fellow ran straight gas in it? How does it feel when you pull it over?

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
my first thought would be to make sure the son in law didn't add straight gas to it,wouldn't be unheard of to happen!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't pulled the cord,I watched my neighbor do it though,it seemed to pull pretty easy but he said it felt a little rougher than it normally does.

It's still got the same gas in it when it shut off. I'll see if I can pull it this weekend some time.

He said if he can't get it to run he'd give it to me. He said it's about 15 years old, I think it's a model 61. Heavier than mine and has a metal chain brake lever instead of plastic.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Ensure the right ratio of at least 50:1 is being used. If it got hot due to lack of oil in the fuel and stopped running, likely chances the piston is scored. A compression test would tell this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts