My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Grip it and Rip it!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Poulan chainsaw w/ 14" bar is good for trimming small brush and little jobs but with a lot of standing timber and large logs needed cut and cleaned out, I knew I needed a real saw. I immediately said I was going to buy a Stihl and I was looking at the Farm Boss 290 as my fit. I knew I wanted a 16" bar but wanted plenty of power.
My father has the same saw and most of my family has Stihls so I was going to go with this brand. After doing some research I had it narrowed down between Husqvarna and Stihl and a few models for each.
After talking to a few owners of Husqvarna's I made up my mind to go with the 450.
I picked up my 450 with the 16" bar and immediately put it to work cutting up a Bradford Pear tree with 12" diamater. First impression is how light weight and easy to handle this saw is, under 12 pounds.
It starts quickly and Easily. Press the decompression valve, hit the primer ball, choke it, and it will hit the first pull. Turn off choke and it will start right up and idle nicely.
There is also LOW vibrations felt even though this has a 50cc engine.

When cutting it rips right through the wood with high RPMs and really throws the saw dust. I love it and am going this weekend to cut a lot more brush and some firewood.
I believe that I'd also have been very happy with the Stihl 290, they're both great saws from reputable companies. I chose the Husqvarna 450 and would highly recommend it to anyone.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
I have the same chainsaw and I agree with the above review. Runs really well and cuts like crazy! I was covered in saw dust as it went through some oak I had with ease.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
BTW, should this be under chainsaws?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
The 450 is a nice saw for sure. My friend has one as well as my neighbor. They are both happy with them.:thThumbsU

Keep is sharp and it'll make nice chips!

MU

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
I keep my chain sharp, bar sprocket greased, bar oil filled and NO ETHANOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts