My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think about this? My 21hp kohler courage lost it's oil thru a bad output shaft seal and pretty much blew up. Now after really digging in on this engine I hear it's crap. So my plan is to swap in a B&S 21hp intek. Rebuild the kohler and sell it. The shaft size is the same, same keyway size and it's tapped the same. I'm not really to concerned about mounting holes I can make that work. My two questions I have are is the intek a good engine and where the **** can I find a B&S service manual with dimensions and such. Kohlers site is really easy to find all that info, B&S just has operators manuals. Also the B&S is also like $300 more expensive.

Here is the kohler

And here's the B&S

Or is there another comparable engine reasonably priced?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, 42 views and a just an add? I really thought this would gain a little more attention. I guess engine swaps aren't really that popular? :dunno:

·
Registered
837 Posts
The Intek engines are O.K. You'd be better off with an Endurance or Professional line from B&S or stepping up to a Kohler Command. Mounting the engine will be a simple drop-in. I'm not sure about the charging and kill circuits, though. The other difference from what I recall is that the Kohler comes with an on-board starter solenoid and the Briggs doesn't. You'll have to add that and the wiring.

·
Registered
118 Posts
http://smallenginewarehouse.com/ will have a bunch of engines to choose from and most of them have at least the dimensions (mounting holes, etc) as a pic on each product page.

Service manuals will depend on what series/model you go for.

Electrical could get interesting...in the past Briggs has used a bunch of different charging systems, Im not sure if they are still currently doing it that way but first youd need to determine how much charge the current engine was putting out then find a Briggs setup with similar output AND make sure there is nothing else "in line" in the tractor wiring (i.e. all of the charging stuff was onboard the Kohler).

EDIT: Id also be interested to see what other engine(s) were available from Husq. Maybe you could call them? They might be able to give you the exact Briggs or Kawasaki engine they were using. Kinda like how the GTH can have a Brigges Endurance or a Kawa engine, same tractor just different engine and deck.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Id also be interested to see what other engine(s) were available from Husq. Maybe you could call them? They might be able to give you the exact Briggs or Kawasaki engine they were using. Kinda like how the GTH can have a Brigges Endurance or a Kawa engine, same tractor just different engine and deck.
That's a good point. You could just hit the Husqvarna website and browse their IPL's to find an engine part#. It may be worth your time to find a suitable Kawasaki twin. My dad has an older Husqvarna YTH with a 13HP Kawasaki that will run circles around my B&S Intek 22HP twin on my same generation Craftsman.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts