My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a tube frame 600 today with the original 6hp and all the pto equipment with it! So now I'm calling out to all the bolens guru's here. The po rebuilt the engine and did a good job except for the carb which is super screwy and I'm havin trouble getting it back in check, anything above idle and she races away, bad. Any ideas? Spring and linkages appear good. Any help would be appreciated! Thank y'all

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1370222476.923511.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1370222516.186161.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also if anyone has a picture of how the drive and pto belts are supposed to look as well as if there is a spring that goes on the drive clutch anywhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds like you're running too lean. Turn the mixture screw all the way in and then back out 1.5 turns. Work from there. Out is rich, in is lean.

Does your 600 have dual-range belt drive? If so, I'll try to get some pictures of the 850 in my backyard. Three pulleys on it two for transmission, one for PTO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does have the dual range setup, thought that was why the drive side had two pulleys, pretty cool and reliable compared to some other makes! I got the idle and main jet set as far in as I dare, at this point it seems the spring may be shot and it also looks like the linkage from the governor is 'custom' if ya catch my drift. So I'm thinking that if it was made to short than the gov doesn't have a chance to counter the spring at all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That motor should have a wind vane gov. I would check that it is in good working order, the plastic gets brittle over time and it my have gone away.

Nate

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the idle and main jet set as far in as I dare
No, don't go lean, try backing it out to run more rich. A good sign of a too lean mixture is little or no power and an engine that races.

If the governor linkage is messed up you'll have to fix it.

I'll get you a picture of the belt drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
sounds like governor- I don`t think that engine has a vane by the flywheel I think it is internal- I would get the engine model serial number and code and go to briggs website- they will have the manuall and parts listing

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tinkered with it last night a bit, it's the governor, possibly the spring. Got the main and idle circuit set pretty good, just manually controlled the throttle. Had to cut and rekey the drive shaft last night. Came with two, the original was wasted but gave the correct length and the one on it was four inches too long. Got that as well as the clutch and steering fixed up. The kid that had it before just ran the drive off the pto pulley from the engine since the driven pulley set didn't line up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stanz, I didn't lean it out too far, apologize if that was misleading, I meant since I don't know the history of this engine I always tend too run a lil rich at first with all my projects so factory setting is as lean as it'll go in my hands. Easier to swap plugs the cylinders! Haha

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got a chance to dig into the engine some more and found a puzzling question awaiting me, that I have no answer for... There is the mechanical arm out of the side that I would believe to be the governor arm AND there is the wind vane on the flywheel coming to the intake manifold and nothing more from there... Can anyone give me a hint on how it's supposed to look or be hooked up? Never dealt with this style and am a little puzzled but quickly understanding why the throttle races away so quick...
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1370660307.911624.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1370660391.792608.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1370660428.260845.jpg

Mainly confused as too why it appears too have two governors. If that is the case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Engine model number

146402 0515-01 6901271

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1370748945.822581.jpg

Problem solved!!! So the po rebuilt the engine awhile back and blah blah couldn't get it too run right. If you look at the throttle arm to governor arm from this picture and compare to earlier this week... It was reversed, ergo visa vi leaving the governor too do its job backwards and hold the throttle wide open... Should have caught that sooner and apologize for over posting. Hopefully this helps someone In the future... Answer is right there staring you back, just have to calm down enough to see it. Thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts