My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a MTD 808 series. I looked at it today. It's got a foot operated variable speed belt drive with a Lo/ High & reverse trans. It looks used, & faded, but no busted plastic, or broken knobs. The chute is there. Seat has some cracks. Motor's supposed to be rebuilt. Seller says it has new blades. Motor and deck sound good. It needs a battery. Seller says the drive belt looks bad. It still goes. He might be able to deliver it. Offered $300. Seller came down to $500. Thinking about it. Any advice?

There are no other accessories, just the 55" deck.
John

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
This time of year, riders are going for their usual higher prices. Check the steering closely for slop. Drive belts can be a pain to replace and the vari-drive can be problematic. Drive it and cut with it. If you are not vary familiar with riders, bring someone with you to check it over.
A battery and belt will be another $100 invested.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 54" deck. Somehow typed 55". I did drive it around a little. I tried low and high & reverse gear at varying speeds. The foot operated vari speed works in spite of the worn belt. I engaged the deck, but mostly just listened to the sound of it. I didn't check specifically for steering play but probably would have noticed if it was unusually loose. I have a couple spare batteries. Can it be true garden tractor with that variable pulley belt drive?
Here's a pix.

Attachments

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
i think that its really meant for mowing but thats just my opinion. not as much of a tractor as much a riding mower. it looks to be in good shape and should serve well as a mower. did u check the oil? u should also look for cracks on and near the front axel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel a little dumb for not checking the oil, but if the engine runs & sounds good they must be keeping oil in it. I tend to go with my overall impression. Usually, if something is junk, you just know. The brackets that hold the anti scalp wheels on the deck might be bent a little. I think it has a cast iron front axil. I'm not going to look at it again. I may give it a few days and call the guy again and talk.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been sold. This was the best of several used tractors I looked at. Went out looking at new ones.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Good luck on your quest for tractor nirvana.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, this is off my topic, but the search for the right used tractor continues.
I went to look at a Farm King , MTD 990 I think, listed for sale for $400. I wanted it. Then the guy says he needs $600. He says he just put $400 in the listing as an arbitrary number.
Comes with a tiller and a ,too small, deck. Eyeballed it with a tape measure in hand and it looks like 38". It ran good with a jump. Whatever raises & lowers the deck isn't working. Some incorrect bolts in the deck support hardware. Paint was bad, rusty, weathered, on top facing surfaces but not bad where not as exposed. A crack was welded on the fender. Tiller has a bunch of loose hardware. Don't know if it's complete. Maybe he'd take $500. I just don't feel good about paying more than he asked for in his ad.
John D

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Same thoughts here..........

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just bought a Huskee SLT 4600H with a 20 hp Kohler engine and a 46 in. deck. Mows great! However, the spring that applies tension on the idler pulleys to engage the blades broke. Can't find a new replacement spring. Huskees are good riding lawn mowers, but not great lawn tractors.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just bought a Huskee SLT 4600H with a 20 hp Kohler engine and a 46 in. deck. Mows great! However, the spring that applies tension on the idler pulleys to engage the blades broke. Can't find a new replacement spring. Huskees are good riding lawn mowers, but not great lawn tractors.
I was working on a old Jacobson tractor, but needed a idler pulley spring. I measured the old spring wire diameter, coil diameter and counted the number of turns. There are assorted springs at Tractor Supply, Hardware stores, Hardware departments of lumber big box stores like Home Depot. I went to 3 stores and found one that wasn't exact but close unuf to work.
You should be able to look up and order the correct part online though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, this is off my topic, but the search for the right used tractor continues.
I went to look at a Farm King , MTD 990 I think, listed for sale for $400. I wanted it. Then the guy says he needs $600. He says he just put $400 in the listing as an arbitrary number.
Comes with a tiller and a ,too small, deck. Eyeballed it with a tape measure in hand and it looks like 38". It ran good with a jump. Whatever raises & lowers the deck isn't working. Some incorrect bolts in the deck support hardware. Paint was bad, rusty, weathered, on top facing surfaces but not bad where not as exposed. A crack was welded on the fender. Tiller has a bunch of loose hardware. Don't know if it's complete. Maybe he'd take $500. I just don't feel good about paying more than he asked for in his ad.
John D
John d you will be working on most any used tractors probably within the first year of use,simply because it's job could be more stressful on motor and chassy than maybe any other machine ever built.some folks don't have near the money to just go throwing at new tractors every 4 or 5 seasons.youve got to realise most of these guys do.if it looks like it was taken care of ,runs smooth ,no obvious signs of future catastrophic engine failure,use your gut.decks are not that hard to fix unless they are totally rotted and nowhere near expensive as a motor.crooks are always going to be there and that's just life.but don't let anyone talk you out of a good deal.chances are you won't find it again.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
...just fyi, this is a 7 year old thread, and johnd393 hasn't logged into the site in a couple of years...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts