My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huskee Tractor 18.0 42" 13AP698G731 4494031

My mower has been having trouble starting. I think it's the solenoid, as it was clicking but only occasionally actually starting. I removed it and cleaned off the contacts but now that I put it back on, I'm not sure I have it wired up correctly and it makes no noise whatsoever. I bought this used and have no manual. Where might I find a diagram or photos of how this should be properly wired?

My yard? It's a jungle out there. Please help! LOL

SuperDave2

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Dave, good to have you with us and hang in there, some of the guys in the know will be along with some help :fing32:.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,265 Posts
There should be a small wire, sometimes yellow, running from the ignition switch to the small terminal on the solenoid. IF there are two small terminals, one is a Ground. IF only one wire, mounting area where solenoid bolts must be clean as it is self grounding thru the mount. As for the two large terminals, one connects to cable coming directly from battery, other to cable going directly to starter, makes no difference which is which.

Use an old screw driver to jump between the two large terminals on the solenoid. Place the screw driver filmy on one terminal, stab the other terminal firmly. IF you are tentative about it, all you will get a bunch of sparks and scare heck out of you.

IF starter runs, battery, battery cables, battery cable connections, starter are OK. Now use a small jumper between the solenoid terminal that the battery cable connects to and the small terminal on the solenoid. IF starter runs, problem is safety wiring or ignition switch. IF solenoid click but starter does not run or solenoid does not click, solenoid is bad OR solenoid ground is bad.

Now IF starter did not run in first example above, using a good set of jumper cables, jump from the positive cable of the battery directly to the starter terminal, starter runs, starter and batter are good and ground cable connection is good. Doesn't run, jump with the other side of the jumper cables directly from battery ground to a bare spot on the engine then do the positive cable jump again. Starter runs, battery ground cable connection is bad. Starter does not run, do this test again using a known good battery, car battery for example. Starter runs, mower battery is bad. Doesn't run, starter is bad.

NOW a very important thing. You did not send the model number of the engine. I do not do look ups from tractor model numbers. IF your engine is an OHV engine, it may only need the valves adjusted. IF it is a B&S OHV engine, I will have detailed instructions for adjusting the valves at address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Walt;

There are two large terminals, and the small wire which is connected to the terminal. There is also another small wire, green, with a ring terminal on the end which I presume would connect to one of the large terminals. Not sure where the other end goes. When I attach it to the terminal which has the positive battery cable on it, I get a spark when I attach the ground cable to the battery. I put it on the other terminal and now I get nothing...

I did take some sandpaper to all the bolts, washers, and terminals.

Here are the #s off the engine if you need them:
31H7770235E1

031211ZE99357

There should be a small wire, sometimes yellow, running from the ignition switch to the small terminal on the solenoid. IF there are two small terminals, one is a Ground. IF only one wire, mounting area where solenoid bolts must be clean as it is self grounding thru the mount. As for the two large terminals, one connects to cable coming directly from battery, other to cable going directly to starter, makes no difference which is which.

NOW a very important thing. You did not send the model number of the engine.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,265 Posts
"There is also another small wire, green, with a ring terminal on the end which I presume would connect to one of the large terminals."

Green is not a color I would expect to connect to either large solenoid terminal. I would expect Red. You need to track down where the other end of that wire goes and do the series of tests I told you.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, Walt, I went and reread what you'd posted earlier and when I tried to start it before I did not have the solenoid mounted to the chassis. I just put it back on and now I have the click back that I was not getting before. I am not quite sure where the click is coming from. Can't tell if it's the solenoid or if it's the starter. I tried the screwdriver trick with no luck. Not sure if I was doing it wrong or if it's just not working. I did get sparks and even a little smoke, so it's doing SOMETHING, just not sure what.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now IF starter did not run in first example above, using a good set of jumper cables, jump from the positive cable of the battery directly to the starter terminal, starter runs, starter and batter are good and ground cable connection is good. Doesn't run, jump with the other side of the jumper cables directly from battery ground to a bare spot on the engine then do the positive cable jump again. Starter runs, battery ground cable connection is bad. Starter does not run, do this test again using a known good battery, car battery for example. Starter runs, mower battery is bad. Doesn't run, starter is bad.

After running through the series of tests, looks like I have a bad starter.

Whenever I would connect the jumper cable to the starter terminal, it would almost start but not quite. The screen thing on top of the motor would move just ever so slightly but not go any further. The jaw of the jumper would also spark, get really hot and actually glow. This happened both using the mower battery as well as a car battery.

My next move would appear to be going to a Tractor Supply and see if they can order a starter for it. Or would it be beter to order online?

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts