My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows what car hubs are good for a trailer axle build to utilize these wheels, I think they are 4x100 pattern thanks

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Since trailing axles are mostly componentized inside the wheel well and no longer have an actual axle, have you considered an early Honda model in a salvage yard and removing the strut tower, springs and hub assembly? Phase two would be pretty straight forward by determining the solid axle length using round or square tube, and spindle camber with a final welds.

The struts can be discarded (or not :)) and leaf springs used between the axle and trailer frame.

Mark

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Have you tried peavy mart or Princess auto? Actually princess auto has a boat load of different axles and hubs there try there first. Take your tape measure with you.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Trailer hubs only come in one bolt circle pattern ,to my knowledge..a 4 bolt,4" bolt circle..those 4 bolt honda rims may well slide right over the studs on those hubs--BUT,and this is a very important BUT--the honda rims have a 3.937" bolt circle,so the lug nuts wont center properly,since the studs wil be off to one side, instead of centered, in the lug holes in the rims..

I wouldn't try "fudging" the honda rims onto trailer hubs,that .003 of an inch adds up to a disaterous situation at highway speeds!..be different if you wanted to use the honda rims on a 5 mph lawn tractor with a 4 bolt 4" bolt circle hub,but not on anything used on the street!..if you insist on using the honda rims ,either make an axle from thick pipe to bolt the honda's original rear hubs too,or use an entire rear axle from a honda--most are independent suspention I think though,they might prove difficult to make into a traler..

Many other vehicles used the same bolt pattern as Honda--a VW Jetta rear axle is easy to make into a trailer and has the same bolt circle,so the honda rims would probably fit..an old Dodge Caravan has a straight axle,and I think the 80's models had the 4 bolt rims same pattern the honda uses,and they had leaf springs too..easy one to make into a trailer axle..so are many 80's GM FWD rear axles,but they'll have 5 bolt hubs with a 4.5" or 115.3mm bolt pattern..

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Meant to say the only 4 bolt trailer hubs I know of are 4" bolt circle!..used with 8,10,12,and 13" rims..
They also have 5 bolt 4.5" bolt circle hubs for 13,14,and 15" rims..and
a 6 bolt ,6.5" bolt circle for 15,and 16" rims for heavier GVW trailers..

The 5 bolt 4.5" ones will work with Ford and Mopar rims on older model full size cars,but you have to ensure the center hole is the right diameter..

The 6 lug ones with 6.5" bolt circles you can use 6 lug chevy 4x4 truck rims on most of the time,and many import trucks had the same 6 lug pattern--but again,the center hole in the rim may be too big or small,so check first before buying any..

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm with Mark777. Just use the Honda rear axle widened or narrowed to suit your needs.
My favorite road trailer is an old Cox, on which the axle met it's demise when one of our dozer men backed up on one of the wheels and flattened it. I replaced it with a Dodge Caravan rear axle, narrowed so the springs on trailer would fit right on the Dodge spring perches. Tires and wheels are cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Meant to say the only 4 bolt trailer hubs I know of are 4" bolt circle!..used with 8,10,12,and 13" rims..
They also have 5 bolt 4.5" bolt circle hubs for 13,14,and 15" rims..and
a 6 bolt ,6.5" bolt circle for 15,and 16" rims for heavier GVW trailers..

The 5 bolt 4.5" ones will work with Ford and Mopar rims on older model full size cars,but you have to ensure the center hole is the right diameter..

The 6 lug ones with 6.5" bolt circles you can use 6 lug chevy 4x4 truck rims on most of the time,and many import trucks had the same 6 lug pattern--but again,the center hole in the rim may be too big or small,so check first before buying any..
My 4' by 10' single axle trailer has 5x5 inch bolt circle.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
You are correct,I did omit the "5 on 5" bolt circle hubs,they are not very common but were used on a few brands..

GM 2wd pickups,full sized "G" 1/2 ton vans and some 5 lug G-20's ,and full sized Chevy Impalas,Caddys,Pontiacs and Buicks used the same 5 bolt 5" bolt pattern rims on older models up to about '87 on most of them..again,trailer hubs dont always have the same center hole size an auto rim does,but many will fit ,you just need to check before buying any..

Sometimes you'll see a trailer that has 5 bolt 4-3/4" bolt pattern hubs,some older factory ones and home brewed ones used hubs off of 1960's full sized GM cars like Impala's,hat had removeable hubs up front,instead of them being made into thr brake drums..I used two of those hubs,to put Chevy wheels up front on my homebuilt tractors cast iron "Toro" front axle,that I got off a 65 Corvair..they had a 3/4" outer wheel bearing already that fit my axle shaft without any mods,and the inner had a 1-1/4" I.D.,that was easily reduced to 3/4" by using a 3/4" shaft collar,which convieniently had a 1-1/4" O.D.!..

We made a few car trailers at the junkyard from 70's Eldorado rear axles,they had the 5 on 5 hubs,and were more than rugged enough to handle 6000 lbs with dual axles..had leaf springs already too!.

We also made one trailer using a 1-1/2 ton full floating truck dual wheel axle ,we cut off the axles & tubes at the differential and used some schedule 80 pipe that someone scrapped, that fit nearly perfect over the axle tubes,that was thicker than the axle tubes were!..we made it 8' wide ,used it to haul a skid steer locally..

One of our customers bought a 1970 Eldorado that was totalled,hit hard in the rear,crushed the trunk up almost to the back window--he chopped it off right behind the front seat,made a "wall" behind it using the original rear window and some sheet steel,and he grafted a car trailer he bought at a scrapyard close by onto the rear of it,that had come off the trailer ball and the tongue was all twisted up like a pretzel!..
He simply cut off the tongue, and "spliced" the trailer to the now 2 seater Eldorado,and it turned out very nice--he had the only front wheel drive car hauler in town with a 500 cid engine,power windows,leather seats,and factory A/C,he used it to haul his race car,an old 60's Nova,and many junkers to the scrapyard..everyone who saw it loved it,thought it was the coolest thing!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts