My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to do a hub conversion on an MTD so it will have hubs on the back for the two flat axle and 5/8" front just wondering if it's possible ?

It would make changing tires and wheels so much easier, and also a better selection of tires. :thanku:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
What kind of rear wheel mounts does it have today?
I did one on a Simplicity that had 7/8" keyed wheels, and used Craftsman hubs with 7/8" keyed centers and 5-bolt flanges for wheels.
You can get go-kart hubs for the front with 5/8" ID bearings and 3 or 4 bolt pattern hubs.

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
If I understand correctly,you have the rear axles that key into the wheels with two flat sections and a center wheel bolt.If this is the type of wheels you have,you can cut the center out of the factory style wheels.Then weld them into a set of 4 or 5 lug trailer,atv,or go cart hubs.Depending on the inside diameter of the hub,it may need to be drilled out to accept the factor wheel center.This is not a hard job, just a lot of labor.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did one on a Simplicity that had 7/8" keyed wheels, and used Craftsman hubs with 7/8" keyed centers and 5-bolt flanges for wheels.
You can get go-kart hubs for the front with 5/8" ID bearings and 3 or 4 bolt pattern hubs.
Yep I figured out the front but the back is where I'm scratching my head.

They are keyless and have two flats with a center bolt that holds the wheel on.

And I think they are 3/4 axles ?

Attachments

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I understand correctly,you have the rear axles that key into the wheels with two flat sections and a center wheel bolt.If this is the type of wheels you have,you can cut the center out of the factory style wheels.Then weld them into a set of 4 or 5 lug trailer,atv,or go cart hubs.Depending on the inside diameter of the hub,it may need to be drilled out to accept the factor wheel center.This is not a hard job, just a lot of labor.
Yes Sir you are correct but what i was hoping for was something like I found on Ebay but the person selling it says he doesn't have time to measure them.

So far these are the parts that have the most promise.

What do you folks think ?

Attachments

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
The picture on the top left is off a cub cadet LT, they have the wheels at TSC but no adapter.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The picture on the top left is off a cub cadet LT, they have the wheels at TSC but no adapter.
Yep thats what they were listed as 2500 cub cadet but I wonder whether or not they would fit ?

Yep my local TSC has CC wheels in stock so that would work out well.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I wonder if Joes Outdoor Power (one of our site advertisors) could help with your question? He sells a lot of used hubs.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if Joes Outdoor Power (one of our site advertisors) could help with your question? He sells a lot of used hubs.
I don't know but it's worth a shot thanks for the lead.

I think this may seem weird to the rest of you but I.m getting tired of pulling cotter pins and greasing plastic bushings every other week.

The rears aren't to bad too do but it would be nice to have hubs mounted and just swap out the wheels and tires when I need too.

Which seems like twice a month, the lawn cant handle the Ag's and ribs but the Turfs get me stuck when I'm out in the back 40 (which is where the compost pile is).

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you think you could do the same with mine ?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
If you go to the cub cadet dealer and look at the "tractor scrap yard" look on the cub cadet 2000 series LT's, The one for a 2500 is compleatly different.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
The cub hubs are bigger 1 " axles and the flats are longer than they are in the MTD wheels.MTD axles are 3/4or 7/8" IIRC.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
I am in need of some hubs, I have the regular 1 inchers. any help?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts