My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tractor Rookie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1971 Sears HT-14. Model number is 917.25600. It has a single cyl. Briggs engine. I haven't been able to locate the model number for the ENGINE. Sears and Briggs are unable to help (or unwilling). Anybody know how I can find out the model number so I can order parts? Also, I have a 42" mower deck, and haven't been able to locate the model number for it, either. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Sears IPL shows a 14hp B&S model 320421, no type code, after all, it is 40 yrs old.
Neither ordertree nor partstree shows this model, your best bet is to call Briggs customer service.
hth

·
Tractor Rookie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU! I did try that, but to no avail. They said there were a lot of engines put in those tractors, and they would have no way of knowing. HMMMM.:thanku:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If it's a 320000 series Briggs, and it does look like it is, the model should be stamped on the engine cowling on its left side (facing the front of the engine).

What part are you looking for?

·
Tractor Rookie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strangely enough, there is nothing stamped into the metal. As I sc***** layers of paint away, I found what looked to be a briggs & Stratton sticker, but there were no legible numbers. The only way I even knew it was a B&S was the raised letters "BS" on the left side of the blower housing. I'm basically looking for maintenance parts. I found a Muffler that I think will be compatible, and somehow it blew out the welch plug, but I found that, as well. The carb. is very clean, and after some adjustments, it is running pretty well, aside from an occasional backfire. I am getting some whining noise from the Hydro tranny, so I'm going to check the fluid...as soon as I figure out how.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I found a Muffler that I think will be compatible, and somehow it blew out the welch plug, but I found that, as well. The carb. is very clean, and after some adjustments, it is running pretty well, aside from an occasional backfire.
The typical muffler is the Briggs "pancake" muffler. It's not that fantastic a muffler but it's inexpensive and quite easy to find. The engine has a 1" pipe thread that the muffler will fit into -- assuming you can manage to twist the old one out ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts