My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI - and I apologize if this already came up in the forums....

I stumbled across this site.

https://lawnmowerclass.com/

Appears someone decided to bring a class action against the engine and mower manufacturers about hp ratings (up to 30 hp).
It covers new purchases between 1/1/1994 and April 12, 2010.

We have missed the deadline for a cash settlement, but still can submit a claim for "Warranty Relief" (what ever that means). Also I think there maybe a deadline extsnion to file for cash settlements.

Cash settlements seem to be about $35 for a walk behind and $75 for a tractor.

from the site -

Your lawn mower is included if your engine was manufactured by:
Briggs & Stratton
Honda
Kawasaki
Kohler
Tecumseh
Toro

Or, your lawn mower is included if your lawn mower was manufactured by:
Deere
EHP
Honda
Husqvarna
MTD
Sears
Toro

Brands manufactured by these companies include, but are not limited to:
Yard-Man, Cub Cadet, Honda, Bolens, Exmark, Deere, Sabre, Scotts, Toro, Yard Machines, Craftsman, Troy Bilt, Husqvarna, Poulan, Poulan PRO, Lawn-Boy, Weed Eater, White Outdoor, Snapper, Simplicity, Brute, Murray, and other brands.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I don't feel that anyone deceived me about anything and therefor couldn't care less about this whole Class Action.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't feel that anyone deceived me about anything and therefor couldn't care less about this whole Class Action.

I guess it wouldn't bother you that the (say for example) the 25 hp engine in yer craftsman was really only about 20 hp. They used a few engines an a lot of different hp stickers on'em. You were deceived when you bought your sears tractor more than likely an didn't even know it, same as me..

I'm into them for the 2 tractors I bought an 1 push mower, all from sears.

I don't believe in suing anybody for anything, but when big corp's purposely XXXX me I don't like it. Just like the govt is doing to most of us right now.

·
6,553 Posts
I don't even care if they DID deceive me... I am NOT going to take part in a Class Action Lawsuit that will cost the Manufacturers Billions of dollars which will ultimately cost me more money and make some slick XXX lawyer into a rich fat cat...

I guess it's all about how you look at things.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tend to agree with the issues of class actions in general. 9 times out of 10 the only ones getting anything for the bother is the attorneys. I have been involved in securities class actions for years from the insurance stand point so I have seen it first hand.

None the less the settlement was made and approved by the court. Its done. The money is out there and the offer on the warranty benefit is there. By me adding my name to the settlement I am taking no additional money or assets from the manufacturer. I am simply reducing the pot already approved that is being sent out to those who sign up. As such I see not signing up as simply leaving money on the table. Economic times require me to grab every penny I can find these days.

Oh I never have paid much attention to HP ratings anyway. But I will say if I get intentionally deceived then I do believe I am owed something - depending on the impact of the deception in my purchase decision or resale value. As it has been said, everyone has there own point of view. No need to call me a fool.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Uh, what just happened?

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
HP ratings on any tractor has alot of variables and #1 is the RPM being run.Most HP ratings are at Maximum RPM and I rarely run any engine at Max RPM.The drop off at say half throttle will vary widely so the ratings only mean so much anyway.Also I've run tractors with identical engines and one had noticably more power than the other so which HP rating was the correct one?

·
6,553 Posts
Uh, what just happened?
Your post was deleted. Either a mod was reading the thread or someone called a Mod's attention to the thread.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I bought my Dixon after the April date...so it must be a legitimate 26hp?
That's just the cutoff date for the people covered by the class action lawsuit. Once the suit is filed you can't later purchase an engine and then join the lawsuit; it would be like you were saying you knew the HP was wrong but bought it anyway.

You could still bring your own suit, though ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
it does not mean the engine does not put out the advertised HP, it just means the engine mfg could not prove to the govt the ad HP was accurate.

·
Registered
962 Posts
What the whole deal was, was that the eng co. an the different sales places were purposely taking one engine an putting diff hp stickers on them to make the tractor/mower appeal more to the cust with the bigger #'s. Even though it an the lower hp tractor below it were identical

short version- 2 identical machines #1 20hp $2000------#2 25hp diff color paint, diff hp sticker $2400, but they both were still the same machine from the same sales outlet

this applied to push type lawnmowers also

All of the above is what I read in the letter they sent me an some govt court website I ended up on thru the original site. Unless they have changed it, you can do a little searching an find that the way small engine HP is rated, is still a little on the sketchy side, an usually in the manufactures favor......

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Unless they have changed it, you can do a little searching an find that the way small engine HP is rated, is still a little on the sketchy side, an usually in the manufactures favor......
Yeah, they are rated at full throttle with no load, no air cleaner, and no exhaust at the crank....Like any other engine's horsepower is measured.

·
6,553 Posts
Yeah, they are rated at full throttle with no load, no air cleaner, and no exhaust at the crank....Like any other engine's horsepower is measured.
Not in the Automotive world. That used to be standard practice and is called "Gross Horsepower" but that's not how an engine works in the real world, so eventually SAE developed the "NET" rating which is, through the factory exhaust with all peripherals being driven by the belts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts