My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back. I was here last in 2006. I still have the old Case Lawn Tractor. I was able to get a new deck back then. Now I am suggested to get rid of because parts are hard to come by. The dealer says it is a great machine and really would not recommend me buying a new one. He has said that many times in years past. But right now I can't find a tank for hydraulic oil. They have been looking for over a month. I am about ready to sell it for parts and use my cub Cadet for everything. What do ya think?:trink40::trink40:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Joes Outdoor -he's parting a 195 now I think too.
or
Evil bay, you can find steel or plastic ones pretty regularly

Those two and some patience will get you a tank, no problem

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Now I am suggested to get rid of because parts are hard to come by. The dealer says it is a great machine and really would not recommend me buying a new one. He has said that many times in years past.
When Dad bought his first Case in 1985, the dealer he bought parts from always complained how he wished he had never become a Case dealer because they hardly ever needed replacement parts beyond normal maintenance items. It's possible that your dealer is looking out for your best interests; But most likely he's trying to shoehorn you into a new/er tractor that he will be able to supply everything and anything.

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
I read that, 99... Now read my isolated quote of his and my comment.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I am curious as to what tractor he is talking about as the older 100 series did not use an oil tank as the rear axle was the tank, he must have a 1969 or early 70's unit, but tanks for those pop up on ebay all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The old Case I refer to is Model 224-78
serial number 9752181 and the deck is J4477

A few years back I thought the cost to correct the problem I was having with the tractor was not going to be worth it. I brought it to the dealer (Niagara Implement) for repair and told him that if the cost of repair was to high I am willing to forog that and buy a new one. He refuse to hear that telling me that the Case is a fine machine and would feel terrible to sell me a new one rather than fix it. Even then parts were tough to come by for him. It has gotten worse over the years....I had to go 300 miles just to get a deck for that machine

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
The problem you are having is simple. Your "dealer" isn't a real dealer.

In order to be a dealer, you have to have an Ingersoll franchise because Case sold their Outdoor Power Equipment Division in 1983. By the time, 1986 rolled around, Case and Ingersoll parted company for good and unless an existing Case dealer decided to take on the Ingersoll franchise, then access to parts and information became very difficult. So if Niagara Implement had a Case OPE franchise at one point, then it's no wonder he is having a problem sourcing items to repair your tractor.

For you, none of that should matter because we have a resident Ingersoll dealer on this forum who can sell and ship you anything you need very quickly. His name is Brian Hildreth and he goes by the screen name bhildret. Brian is well-liked and well-respected because he not only knows these tractors but he loves them too.

None of the above is intended to disparage Niagara Implement. He obviously knows how good your tractor is and he did the right thing by convincing you to hang onto it. The easy way would have been for him to nod in agreement, take your money and send you home with something new but truly of lesser quality. The current replacement cost for what you now own is $6000.00. I doubt that Niagara was going to sell you something in that price bracket.

Used hydraulic tanks that are correct for a 1978 model such as yours do show up on e-bay regularly. You need to use your serial number to locate the proper parts manual for your tractor and then look up the part number for the tank you need. Then when you see a tank for sale on e-Bay that you think might be correct, ask the seller for the serial number off the tractor the tank came from so you can consult the parts manual for that tractor to verify if it used the exact same tank.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
The problem you are having is simple. Your "dealer" isn't a real dealer.

For you, none of that should matter because we have a resident Ingersoll dealer on this forum who can sell and ship you anything you need very quickly. His name is Brian Hildreth and he goes by the screen name bhildret. Brian is well-liked and well-respected.

DITTO. To the O.P. , do yourself a favor and email Brian. [email protected] with your parts needs. Just received an order today, it`s painless and simple

1 - 11 of 11 Posts