My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've been in the shadows for a while reading ya'lls threads and I finally decided to join. I am extremely impressed with many of ya'lls projects and knowledge. I have a somewhat running Farmall 560 LP tractor that I aquired recently and I'm ready to get it purring like it did in the good o'days. I have plenty of questions and I'm looking forward to chatting and talking shop with you guys. Thanks for having me!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here's the pictures of the 560 as she sits.

Not the best looking thing ever but cosmetics are secondary to making it run right but for $600 what do you expect.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,212 Posts
:Welcome1: Ramblin65. Great score on your LP. Nice pics, thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree.

Whomever rewired up that tractor needs to be dragged behind it like a harrow for a few hours. lol
Geez.

:14_6_5: :fing20:
Hey! Hey! Hey! That's my wiring!
The wiring is absolutely temporary. The original wiring has been tampered with so we bypassed everything with newer wires to get the tractor running so we would know that at least the wiring would be right. It still runs like crap but we figured out why.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We have been trying to figure out why this tractor has been running so badly for a while now. We have tried many different things but nothing worked. We were down to thinking it was the hydraulic system not flowing right, pressuring up, and loading up the engine. Well that wasn't it either. So we decided to pull the cylinder head off and have a peek inside. Sure enough we found the problem.
Here's the head off the engine.

Here's where things get ugly. Chamber number 4, has a hole in the intake valve.

And in chamber number 5 also has a hole in the valve but it was from the valve seat coming loose and rattling around between the valve and the head casting. The valve seat has gouged the head casting pretty bad but I'm taking it the machine shop to get the final word on whether it can be fixed or not. I sure hope they can because 560 cylinder heads aren't that easy to find. Here's the picture.

There is a ton of carbon buildup on the valves and chambers from running poorly. There is also a lot of pitting in the number 5 chamber in the head casting. Just about every valve guide is worn out as well. Even if the head can be fixed, it will need a 100% rebuild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts