My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new on this forum but not new to tractors or gt's! After spending the past couple years reviving a pair of Elec Traks and wrenching on my boss's Massey and Deere, I'm ready to play with my own toys again!

Somehow, I've only got this only little tiny tractor! It's a wee Springfield 25, specifically a model 62A. I bought it as a father son project but he's still a little scared of the engine even with dual sausage mufflers. Go figure!

Here it is after getting home complete with a home built trailer...

IMG_2367.jpeg

I borrowed a few parts from a second tractor and did some paint work...

IMG_2691.jpeg

I'd love to say all is well at this point but it's not. After doing TLC to everything else, I had a go at the engine. Long story short, it is not happy.

The tractor is currently sporting a Briggs 100902 Power Kraft 4 Hp that is likely a replacement for an original Tecumseh 5 Hp. So basically I need to find something that fits. Any suggestions lol?

·
Super Moderator
27,381 Posts
Well keep on working on the resto work while waiting to source an engine. Even just the wheels painted makes it look better. Need to take him to a RC model track somewhere and let him "race" something with an engine. That seems to lock a young boy into loving machinery and such!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, it's fully functional and ready to work with the exception of the engine. I'm just trying to figure out what would or should have come on there in the first place. That way I have more than one option.

As for the paint, we'll save that 'til the boy is a bit older. For what it's worth, he's already fascinated by machinery, motorcycles, etc. You just need to get ear muffs on him before you start the engine! He's even driven this tractor once briefly before it stalled out and refused to run again... the joy of projects!

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,922 Posts
I traded in used mowers for a long time. Had several similar to that about 60 years ago, seems they had Clinton engines on them.
Walt Conner

·
2,020 Posts
Neat little rig, welcome to MTF. ?

What's wrong with the engine that's on there? And what have you done to try to repair it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Walt, I'll have to get my facts straight because there's very little about these old Quick Manufacturing mowers out there and I'd hate to mislead anybody. In the meantime I'll post up some miscellaneous Springfield 25 brochures, ads, and literature when I figure out where I saved them to... I think there was more info in those anyway.

Mark, I'll get you some photos of the Elec Traks here soon. I loved the torque but just didn't need them. Too many toys, too little time and money.

Scott - I checked it over, redid the carburetor (twice!), checked spark (on purpose and accidentally), and gave it a go... over and over. My gut said it didn't have any one easy issue to explain how poorly it was running, or in most cases, wasn't at all.

I did get talked into opening it up and I can admit I was wrong about the poor little thing. There may yet be hope. Valve clearances were nonexistent so I pulled the head. Yeah rings are questionable but wow look at that carbon! See where the gasket failed at the top of the piston?

Here's a closer look at the point of failure on the gasket. You also can see where it was damaged and blowing out around that upper head bolt too. Only that one bolts body and threads were coated in oil.

IMG_5550.JPEG

Based on all that carbon, I'd say this engine thinks it's a high compression model.

IMG_5548.JPEG

Got the head cleaned since taking pictures and started on the engine. Guess I need a head gasket before I can get very far. Too bad I only ordered one a few hours before opening this up!

I am definitely looking for advice on mufflers. I'd ideally like a bigger and more "tractor-like" sausage muffler that also really brings the dB's down. I want my kid to be able to enjoy this without earmuffs if possible.

·
2,020 Posts
There ya go. Get your HG, while you're waiting set the valves properly and maybe give 'em a lap.

Did you check the compression at any point?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cleaning things up was enough of a detour for the night so I'll probably save the valves for tomorrow. I did not check compression. I could always get it to start so it just never crossed my mind.

·
2,020 Posts
An engine with tight valves may compression test OK when cold and start fine, but have valve leakage once it warms up and the parts expand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Scott, I had considered that possibility because it didn't account for all the symptoms I was seeing. That said, the valves certainly could have been contributing to the condition.

Since the engine's torn down I caved and ordered one of those tiny 3 inch Supertrapp mufflers and some stacking baffles. Set me back more than the whole project has so far! But I had a motorcycle style one on a VW buggy that I boosted and it was so quiet all you heard was the turbo whine and blowoff valve. Finger crossed I like this one just as much.

Edit, here's some of that literature. I'd love to find one of those 30" snow blades just for kicks. Can you imagine actually trying to plow with one of these?

4A6C093E-C142-4880-9BE4-2B9F96B73AA7-562-00000065E5A25DD8.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put the tractor back together today and ran it several for several short, stinky, smoky spurts. The smoke cleared right up and ran great despite the 40 degree garage. It'll idle down to 1500ish without a complaint. All I have left now is to sort out my carburetor linkage. I damaged a spring on removal so it won't idle down unless I actuate the governor by hand.

Have a look at my random plumbing assortment exhaust setup.

IMG_5585.JPEG

Here's a close up.

IMG_5583.JPEG

And finally I gave it the same exhaust wrap treatment. It is a lot quieter but has a small leaky "tick" from where the supertrapp meets the pipe. But I'm not chasing perfection here.

IMG_5589.jpeg

Here's the scene of the carbureted crime, now missing one spring.

IMG_5590.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts