My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
One of few employed in MI
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its hard to see from the picture but the idler arm (well, thats what it would be on a car) on the tractor is nearly stripped out. The shaft itself seems to be fine though. Its causing a ton of play in the steering. Weld it? JB Weld it? I don't feel like dropping $100+ on a new steering component.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
You got nothing to loose by trying some JB Weld, Good luck, slkpk

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Caterpillar repairman
13 Posts
Personally I dont have much faith in JB for anything under a strain.I would put some weld around the hole and die grind it back to size.Takes more time but its permanent.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I dont have much faith in JB for anything under a strain.I would put some weld around the hole and die grind it back to size.Takes more time but its permanent.
Time really isn't an issue. I just want something to hold. The "tie rods" have play in them too. I'm going to put a larger bolt/nut combo through them. It seems as Simplicity put like a 7/16" bolt through a 1/2" hole. Don't get their reasoning but this should tighten up the steering.

I was looking at the loose steering wheel today and noticed there is no upper bracket on the shaft. It just goes through the plastic dash and that has started to wear. I'm going to tear the gas tank out tomorrow and see if I can fab something up to hold it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts