My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bolens drive sheave is very long. What kind of pulley puller would do the job?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's quiet out there. Came across this method - does it seem reasonable? Has anyone used an air chisel to remove a pulley?

The person uses an air chisel against the crankshaft and slowly raps it free.
LAWNMOWER REPAIR: engine pulley removal

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You maybe able to use a 3 jaw puller but it's hard to say without knowing what model tractor and engine you are working on.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Farmerall, The tractor is an H14 tube frame.
The engine is a Tecumseh OH-150 (or HH-150)
The engine with drive pulley is out of the tractor on the bench. This is what the pulley looks like. Not my picture, mine is still on the engine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's quiet out there. Came across this method - does it seem reasonable? Has anyone used an air chisel to remove a pulley?

The person uses an air chisel against the crankshaft and slowly raps it free.
LAWNMOWER REPAIR: engine pulley removal
OMG THAT WORKS AWESOME. YES IT WORKS! YES IT WORKS! I tried it on my 1050 with all the pto and drive pulleys. I almost cried it was so easy. Then I tried on my 1256. I ran out of air but it was working. Oh compressor just shut off I am going back out to finish the job:thThumbsU

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Looks pretty easy in the video. I had to heat and cut mine off of the shaft on my HT23. I never thought of at least trying an air chisel.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It took a little more work on my 1256 but it worked. PB Blaster and some slight pressure from a pry bar, and I mean slight. Off it came. The air chisel I used was a real small crappy one and the compressor was about 120 psi. I stuck a darn bolt in the chisel and used that. Position the gun just right to make the bolt hit the crank shaft. It is a vibrating action more then a hitting or hammering that makes this work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts